WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
AlexEe
Battlefield 1

Sun May 08, 2016 9:35 am

Amazing! What do you think?
I must say i never played bf4 because i didn't like it. But I just preordered bf1.
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

mizudg

Re: Battlefield 1

Sun May 08, 2016 6:28 pm

No offense, but you're what's wrong with the market (or at least, from a buyer's perspective). Sure, it might look great and all, but remember Battlefront? We shouldn't get too hyped about anything yet (other than it being WW1). I mean, honestly, does no one else expect another Premium or Ultimate edition fiasco after their last few games? You might've just pre-ordered, only to be lured into the "Premium upgrade" edition later. The pre-order bonuses already sound stupid. I guess we'll see, the gameplay reveal is only a month away after all, but really, I think I'm gonna take a break from all AAA games this year (other than a few personal favorite surprises), hopefully it won't be bad, and I'm really glad DICE are getting the attention and retention they deserve.

P.S. - Screw you, COD. Nobody cares about modern and futuristic settings anymore. People wanna go back, get in line...

AlexEe

Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 pm

i haven't bought battlefront nor will because it sucks. i also don't like bf4 actually i really dislike it. But with bf1 almost everything I hate about the latest dice releases has changed.

I hope it will be part of origin access, which would really make me consider to return the game at a later point and instead use a subscription based service with a whole more games bundled.

ChuckN

Sun May 15, 2016 3:07 am

I have to admit that the trailer did perk up my interest in BF1 so far.
However, its impossible to know whether the game will actually be any good at this point since it was just a bunch of cut scenes.
Oh well, time will tell I guess.

Mizu is right about the game "pre-order" B.S. though.
Gamers need to stop falling for that scam and force the game companies to deliver a finely polished product instead of a half-baked mess.
As long as gamers are willing to hand over their money ahead of time, the game companies will keep getting away with shoddy workmanship. ;)

AlexEe

Sun May 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Though what most ppl dont get is, that as with (almost) any good, you can return the game.

ChuckN

Sun May 15, 2016 6:07 pm

The problem with paying in advance is that it allows game companies to ship games that are broken. Just look at the BF4 fiasco for example. DICE/EA told investors that it would be a great success while they secretly knew it was a pile of crap that wouldn't even work at launch. The only reason that the lawsuit brought by EA investors was dropped is because of the crooked legal system.

Besides pre-payment for broken games, the other biggest scam is multi-tiered pricing. Game companies simply strip content from a game and sell it as the "base edition" while the restored version is called the "deluxe edition".

I think everybody would agree that games have generally become much more realistic and immersive over the years which is a good thing. However, the other thing that has happened in that time is pre-payment/multi-tiered-pricing/online-only-DRM which has made it increasingly toxic for gamers.

From what I understand, DICE/EA is claiming that BF1 won't be a launch fiasco like BF4 was. However, you know things are really bad in the game industry when devs have to keep promising that their new game will actually work this time. :D

AlexEe

Mon May 16, 2016 10:21 am

Yes i do agree with most of your points regarding the ripping of content for extra DLC's. I'm usually not one of those guys who pays for things in advance, but the solely reason why I preordered it is, because I damn love the setting. It is something NEW, I mean really. There is NO single WW1 game out there. Why? Because it was believed that such a setting would not be possible to implement into a game which actually makes fun. To be honest, sitting/hiding in the trenches 15-20m away from your enemy and waiting for hours and hours for something to happen doesn't sound very funny and exciting.

But with the evolvement of game engines like Frosbite I'm quite optimistic that DICE while produce something unique.

ChuckN

Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Yep, a realistic WW1 game would be nothing but hiding in muddy rat infested trenches for months/years while artillery rains down constantly.
The only action would be a suicidal charge into the buzzsaw of a mounted machine gun or a mustard gas attack.
Obviously a game like that wouldn't be very popular to say the least. :)

I also found this article while I was reading about WW1 pilots on http://www.usaww1.com/World_War_1_Fighter_Pilots.php4.

"...At one point, the average amount of time for fatalities for just normal non-combat flying was one fatality for every sixty five hours of flight time. They didn't have parachutes either. Parachutes were considered cowardly by the pilots and their superiors alike. Parachutes were not issued to American pilots until 1919, the year after the war ended. After all, the thinking was that parachutes would only encourage pilots to jump out of planes that were on fire or otherwise heavily damaged rather than trying to get the planes back on the ground..."

Needless to say it doesn't sound like very much fun to get shot at while you fly around in a motorized kite without a parachute in real life. :D

Return to “Game Discussion”