WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
MaxLightning
Re: Blaze Emulator - First Preview

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 am

Logically it makes no difference if he releases. So what if other people claim it? As long as his goals aren't to monetise it then it doesn't make a difference either way. Only valid reason is that you're trying to prevent other people from learning how the server works to prevent possible hacks that may be uncovered.

Anyway I'm just arguing for the sake of it. I probably wouldn't release it either. A) To avoid potential hacks B) So that people remember I'm boss C) B.

Effort

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 am

TheShadow wrote:@ Effort

NoFaTe wont release his source code.
Also he wont release the emulator itself because THAT would be illegal and he dont want other devs to crack it up, disassemble it and modifying it or even worse make profit with it which is highly illegal too.

He said he will find a solution for offline gameplay but that is far,far away from now like i said before.

As long as there is a back end to ping I am over the moon. would It be possible to add a switch for the dedicated servers to hook onto ea's actual backend in case nofate's emulator drops for whatever reason? It would be a bit awkward setting up a lan and the having to stop play if the emulator crashes :D . Also to anybody concerned about the back end not being released, it really does not matter as you won't be using it. If you really wanted one you could monitor the connections from the sever and your client and reverse engineer it yourself, but goodluck with that.

rukqoa

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:02 am

Effort wrote:ould It be possible to add a switch for the dedicated servers to hook onto ea's actual backend in case nofate's emulator drops for whatever reason? It would be a bit awkward setting up a lan and the having to stop play if the emulator crashes :D

No. EA's Blaze backend has a whitelist, and if you run your own server, your server is not on the whitelist.

Vextor

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:47 pm

MaxLightning wrote:Out of curiosity what is the point of not releasing the emulator? Unless NoFate plans to make a profit on it in the future then is it not by all means pointless to not share the code? I suppose it could be about pride and street cred'. Haha.

There are multiple problems if this were to ever become open source (examples from aIW are noted):

a. Multiple people would start making their own master-servers for the project, and simply take the open source client and make it connect to their master server, and do nothing else.

b. That would split the user base, and neither of these master-servers would actually have a proper user-base, so the users would leave.

c. People would take credit for NoFaTe's work, which really isn't fair and leads to... a lot, of arguments.

fourDeltaOne vs alterRev is a good example of such, might want to look at that to see how the
a. Open sourceness of IWNetServer and
b. The leak of aIW's source code

lead to such a fiasco.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Vextor wrote:
MaxLightning wrote:Out of curiosity what is the point of not releasing the emulator? Unless NoFate plans to make a profit on it in the future then is it not by all means pointless to not share the code? I suppose it could be about pride and street cred'. Haha.

There are multiple problems if this were to ever become open source (examples from aIW are noted):

a. Multiple people would start making their own master-servers for the project, and simply take the open source client and make it connect to their master server, and do nothing else.

b. That would split the user base, and neither of these master-servers would actually have a proper user-base, so the users would leave.

c. People would take credit for NoFaTe's work, which really isn't fair and leads to... a lot, of arguments.

fourDeltaOne vs alterRev is a good example of such, might want to look at that to see how the

lead to such a fiasco.

Couldn't have said it better.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Kerrigan

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Vextor wrote:

lead to such a fiasco.

If the world wouldn´t be full of assholes NoFaTe could as much as he wants. Without any regret and fear..
But.. NO!

Otherwise i will be happy if he also finds a solution to disable the master server completely.
It would stop such requests and arguments. Forever.

rukqoa

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:56 pm

TheShadow wrote:Otherwise i will be happy if he also finds a solution to disable the master server completely.
It would stop such requests and arguments. Forever.

Then how would you keep track of all the emulated servers? There needs to be a master server somewhere down the line.
Unless someone finds a way to crack into EA's actual Blaze server and poison their whitelist, there needs to be an emulated master server.

Kerrigan

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:02 pm

rukqoa wrote:Then how would you keep track of all the emulated servers? There needs to be a master server somewhere down the line.
Unless someone finds a way to crack into EA's actual Blaze server and poison their whitelist, there needs to be an emulated master server.

LAN ?

No ranking ? Local server ? Ever heard of that ?
Maybe a local emulation via some implementation ?
TeknoGods managed to emulate the IWNet by the fly.
It worked offline, with ranking.
But there was no executable for an emulator.
The emulator was inside of the program itself.
There is ALWAYS a solution.

Gosh..

Effort

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:19 pm

TheShadow wrote:
rukqoa wrote:Then how would you keep track of all the emulated servers? There needs to be a master server somewhere down the line.

LAN ?

No ranking ? Local server ? Ever heard of that ?
Maybe a local emulation via some implementation ?
TeknoGods managed to emulate the IWNet by the fly.
It worked offline, with ranking.
But there was no executable for an emulator.
The emulator was inside of the program itself.
There is ALWAYS a solution.

Gosh..

I think he was referring to online play and how to get a server list that is accessible by all.

Kerrigan

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Effort wrote:I think he was referring to online play and how to get a server list that is accessible by all.

Huh ?

Of course. For online there has to be a master server that coordinates both clients and servers.
But i was referring to the offline option. Well, i guess we misunderstood each other.

Return to “General Discussion”