WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
AlexEe
Re: No server key. Server will not launch.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:40 pm

TacTicToe wrote:
AlexEe wrote:1) the servers currently running are not hosted on home machines. Only people trusted by the devs have server keys (Rodney, magic)

MAGIC wrote:You can use your client as server. But you can't host a server yet, since you need a server.key

Did you miss this?

No why do you assume?
Edit: regarding my 2nd statement: in the server tutorial it was mentioned under requirements that a valid server license is required. But I agree with you, this should probably be written in bold or as a big note at the beginning that they are not available just yet
Last edited by AlexEe on Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

kiwidog

Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:49 pm

The only people who are currently hosting servers have been gracious enough to allow us to run servers on their dedicated hardware, and they are close friends/staff of the Neuxs Team. Server hosting for everyone will come in due time (Soon).
kiwidog > NoFaTe.

l-NoNam3-l

Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Maybe you should've first read through the whole thing first and then you would've realized you don't have a server key file before beginning the process?

You don't just see a recipe and start following it, just to find out half way through that you need more eggs.

Just my 2 cents :) not trying to insult, just giving my opinion

Rodney
Contact: Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL Facebook Skype Twitter YouTube

Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:13 pm

TacTicToe wrote:
AlexEe wrote:1) the servers currently running are not hosted on home machines. Only people trusted by the devs have server keys (Rodney, magic)
MAGIC wrote:You can use your client as server. But you can't host a server yet, since you need a server.key

Did you miss this?

No he didn't. You use the client as a server in VU. Nobody ever talked about hosting servers on home PCs.

TacTicToe wrote:Not really. Again the way it is written, it looks like hosting is made available to anyone who wishes to host. I think those of us that are experienced hosts and have been doing this for some time, really only need this IF they are going to be allowed to host. Putting it out there is this manner, is just misleading. I got all excited for nothing, went thru all the steps for nothing. Downloaded and installed Origin and BF3 on my box via RDP and followed Rodney's directions only to find out I am not able to host.

Well the requirements list that you need a "server.key" file. You clearly didn't pay attention.
There used to be a signature here.

seb3sec

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:58 pm

If you've installed VU with the current version you'll have entries like "Start VU server [xxx Hz]" in your start menu. This is a bit confusing because it's only telling you you're missing a server.key file. (Afaik there was no hint to look at the tutorial)

But anyway it would have been cool if you could at least start some kind of local server/game and then connect via a startup parameter for the client. But I have no idea if you could get rid of the Zeus backend for this local game or if even VU depends on it.
Would be great for a LAN party because playing online with multiple PCs via one (DSL) connection leads to high ping and ranked isn't required for that.

MAGIC

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:02 am

seb3sec wrote:If you've installed VU with the current version you'll have entries like "Start VU server [xxx Hz]" in your start menu. This is a bit confusing because it's only telling you you're missing a server.key file. (Afaik there was no hint to look at the tutorial)

But there is one
http://forums.veniceunleashed.net/viewt ... =11&t=8214

seb3sec

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:24 am

That's not what I'm talking about.

1. Download and install the client because you're interested in playing it
2. find the entry "Venice Unleashed Server" in your start menu
3. A console-like window will pop up and tell you that "The server key file could either not be found or is invalid. ..."
4. Press "OK" and the server will close.

This will all work without any knowledge about the server install tutorial thread. There is no hint that there's no way to get this key now.
Maybe you should remove these entries or show a better error message in future versions. As it is right now people will waste their time trying to (get their server up and running) fix a problem that is unfixable.

TacTicToe

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:03 pm

seb3sec wrote:This will all work without any knowledge about the server install tutorial thread. There is no hint that there's no way to get this key now.
Maybe you should remove these entries or show a better error message in future versions. As it is right now people will waste their time trying to (get their server up and running) fix a problem that is unfixable.

You have to understand, we are the ones that are too stoopid to get it. When we point out how stoopid we are, we just get condescending responses about how we didn't pay attention, to further demonstrate just how stoopid we are. We are just clueless plebs with no real merit or comprehension of things being posted. You just have to learn to mind you place, and eventually, the powers that be may be kind enough to throw us some crumbs.

Patience young padawan...
]Image

MAGIC

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:24 pm

seb3sec wrote:This will all work without any knowledge about the server install tutorial thread. There is no hint that there's no way to get this key now.

Ah well that's true yes. But after searching the forums you might get the right answers anyway :)

TacTicToe wrote:You have to understand, we are the ones that are too stoopid to get it. When we point out how stoopid we are, we just get condescending responses about how we didn't pay attention, to further demonstrate just how stoopid we are. We are just clueless plebs with no real merit or comprehension of things being posted. You just have to learn to mind you place, and eventually, the powers that be may be kind enough to throw us some crumbs.

The problem was that we understand you guys, that there were no hint at all that you need a server.key to actually start a server

RobbingHood

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 pm

TacTicToe wrote:You have to understand, we are the ones that are too stoopid to get it. When we point out how stoopid we are, we just get condescending responses about how we didn't pay attention, to further demonstrate just how stoopid we are. We are just clueless plebs with no real merit or comprehension of things being posted. You just have to learn to mind you place, and eventually, the powers that be may be kind enough to throw us some crumbs.

"I got called out for not even bothering to read and now have to write a sarcastic comment to convince everybody that it's the admins' fault for not posting a bold, red 48 pt. warning about how server.keys are not yet publicly available"

Here, have a pitchfork to start your rebellion against the unfair, pleb-suppressing authorities: ---E

Return to “Help and Support”