WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
XuluniX
Re: Anyone want to create a BF2 revival mod

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:22 am

dafuq?
The mod is only loaded if the server hast the mod loaded too.
so you cann play on all servers as the client only loads the required mods
i don't understand why you want your own backend and client, you won't get it

faddn

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:15 pm

XuluniX wrote:dafuq?

Remember, this game is not build for mods, so game will not load you "mods" for specific servers.

A BF2 mod require alot of changes, making it completely different from BF3/venice.

If you modify enough stuff on your client, you end up with a different game, making it impossible to play on normal BF3 servers with your client.

"you won't get it" Says who? Remember this is not DICE. If we have a successful mod, I'm sure Nofate will help us out some way to make it even more successful. It may not be a seperate backend, but maybe something making it more like a stand-lone from Venice.

Imposter

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:54 pm

faddn wrote:
XuluniX wrote:dafuq?

Remember, this game is not build for mods, so game will not load you "mods" for specific servers.

A BF2 mod require alot of changes, making it completely different from BF3/venice.

If you modify enough stuff on your client, you end up with a different game, making it impossible to play on normal BF3 servers with your client.

"you won't get it" Says who? Remember this is not DICE. If we have a successful mod, I'm sure Nofate will help us out some way to make it even more successful. It may not be a seperate backend, but maybe something making it more like a stand-lone from Venice.

._.

faddn

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Imposter wrote:._.

Yes, very constructive comment from you there!

Manchoo

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 pm

i'm sure Nofate has thought to everything, maybe you will not be able to modify Xpack folders and you will find in update's folder one which name Mod !

For the moment all we have to do is to waiting, in less of one month we will know how VU works.

faddn

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Manchoo wrote:i'm sure Nofate has thought to everything, maybe you will not be able to modify Xpack folders and you will find in update's folder one which name Mod !

For the moment all we have to do is to waiting, in less of one month we will know how VU works.

My thoughts is that it will be similar to BC2 when it comes to "installing" mods, probably some easier tools to work with, enabling more modding, better mods and easier to search after moded servers in the browser. As mentioned here, some mods will be "nexus approved" if I remember right.

But I don't think a good BF2 mod will be successful being a "sub-folder" in Venice where you have
hundreds of normal servers in between. It need to be more like how huge mods worked in BF2, like project reality etc.

dolmaface

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Okay guys. So I have decided we need to make a team to make this mod possible. Its going to be a large undertaking, and will be best done if we all unit and get organized. I introduce: BF3: Project Proper. For this mod, we will take BF3, make it like BF2, and then most importantly improve the game. Make the game like BF3 should've been, a proper evolution of BF2. Here is an outline I made on how we will develop the mod. We will need three teams. Teams that focuses on core gameplay, the games ui, and sound. Let me know what you guys think.

mizudg

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 am

Sound is good as it is, the UI also. Just remove the transparency off the UI and make it gray-ish. The gameplay could be fixed up but that's about it. Also, Project Proper sounds kinda silly... It's Battlefield 3 and it's its own thing. Other than that, I'm all up for BF2 with Frostbite.

dolmaface

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:10 pm

mizudg wrote:Sound is good as it is, the UI also. Just remove the transparency off the UI and make it gray-ish. The gameplay could be fixed up but that's about it. Also, Project Proper sounds kinda silly... It's Bettlefold 3 and it's its own thing. Other than that, I'm all up for BF2 with Frostbite.

I don't think you read my development outline. I don't want to change the sound, we just need to add voip and voice-overs for the new comros/tact rose/commander dialog. Thats the job for the sound team. The UI on the other hand needs to be completely changed. There needs to be a tactical map for the squad leader to command from, ability to create custom squad names, ability to invite teammates to squad, new comrose, tactrose, commander UI. Just read my outline and I list everything. Otherwise, yes I agree the name can be changed, I just randomly came up with it.

mizudg

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:57 pm

I think you overestimate the ability of Rime's current status. The Beta won't have any mods and it's hard to start organizing 3 teams for something you won't see for a while or know how it works. And the VoIP has already been looked into and NF said it can't be re-added. At least that's what he claimed several months ago, don't know about now if you can do it with Rime but I guess you can just use Project Reality's method.

Return to “General Discussion”