WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
The Spectator Feature

Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 pm

One of the main features of Venice Unleashed is the re-introduction of the Spectator feature to the game.

As previously demonstrated, DICE seems to have originally planned to include spectator in the game, but apparently the feature was never finished and therefore never featured in the final version of the game.

Our goal is to enable our users to take advantage of that feature, and also extend it to provide you with a fully functional Spectator mode for Battlefield 3.

Currently there are three spectating modes available: Free Camera, First Person, and Orbital Third Person.
Even though their functionality isn't yet 100% complete, they are fully usable by any player joining a server as a spectator.

Spectating is pretty easy.
You simply have to join a server (with open spectator slots) as a spectator using the provided button on the interface (more on that later).
However, since Spectators use more bandwidth right now that regular players, Server Providers are advised to limit the amount of allowed spectators to an acceptable number to avoid disrupting the experience of in-game players (Current maximum: 64).

Now, as previously mentioned, several features are still missing (like HUD replication), and others are buggy (weird FOV changes, some broken animations, etc.), but as always we are working hard on sorting everything out.

One could say that the current state of the Spectator Feature in Venice Unleashed is similar to the one in the Battlefield 4 Beta.

But that's enough talk.

Here's what spectating in Venice Unleashed actually looks like in glorious 4K:

Note: Switching between different spectating modes is instant. The fade in/out in the video is simply an effect.

We would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to discuss this on our forums by clicking on the button below!

From the Venice Unleashed Blog.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

MAGIC

Re: The Spectator Feature

Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh great, 3rd person view is perfect to spot cheaters!

rowan112

Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 pm

but what's stopping them from making a hack that detects a person spectating them, because in bf4 you can do that.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm

rowan112 wrote:but what's stopping them from making a hack that detects a person spectating them, because in bf4 you can do that.

Spectating players in VU works in a different manner than it works in BF4, which means that it's not possible to know whether a player is spectating you.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Niinx

Fri May 23, 2014 11:54 pm

That looks amazing, i hope we will get the ability to set it so only admins, or specific players/user groups could access spec (defined in configs or via rcon). Looking forward to your next post :).

Freeshnik

Sat May 24, 2014 3:58 am

All comments are missing the point - with this, as game admin, we will be avaible to BAN BAN and again BAN cheaters with proof!

zesty

Sat May 24, 2014 6:10 am

Not just ban hackers but we can also make better videos now.

neverhangover

Sat May 24, 2014 6:33 am

SPAS 12 with Suppressor ? :) Seems like you did take a look at the attachments. ;) Nice work 8-)

himapapa

Sat May 24, 2014 8:23 am

Spectator mode will be a great step: Not only for watching suspicious players or making videos. With spectator modes we will be able to make competitive matches. So all in all it will take the game to a new level. :)

mizudg

Sat May 24, 2014 9:59 am

neverhangover wrote:SPAS 12 with Suppressor ? :) Seems like you did take a look at the attachments. ;) Nice work 8-)

DICE guns have 12x and suppressors. Yep, "fair"

Return to “Blog”