WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
BattleNonSense
You can't have a profile yet

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 am

Antispam: You can't have a profile yet. You need to post a few times first.

I understand the need of anti-spam. But that seems a bit out of place to me.
I can't even save my birthday. ;)

blueman24

Re: You can't have a profile yet

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 pm

wow

Battlenonsense!

RobbingHood

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 pm

It might seem a bit exaggerated, but who would see your profile anyway if you don't post at all? :P

BattleNonSense

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 am

RobbingHood wrote:It might seem a bit exaggerated, but who would see your profile anyway if you don't post at all? :P

exactly. so why can't I fill it out first? because that is always the first thing I do after i join a forum. ;)

this "anti spam" function actually causes spam. because it forces the member to go and post "something" to reach that artificial limit to unlock a forum function.

blueman24

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:38 am

BattleNonSense wrote:this "anti spam" function actually causes spam. because it forces the member to go and post "something" to reach that artificial limit to unlock a forum function.

Watch out! He has started the constructive criticism right now! lololol :D

mizudg

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm

You have no idea what sort of spammers this forum used to have... shoes, cosmetics, sweaters, etc... long paragraphs of nonsensical text that advertises something without even listing what it was at the end or where to find it. Trust me, you'll come around it soon..

BattleNonSense

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:16 pm

mizudg wrote:You have no idea what sort of spammers this forum used to have... shoes, cosmetics, sweaters, etc... long paragraphs of nonsensical text that advertises something without even listing what it was at the end or where to find it. Trust me, you'll come around it soon..

What worked good in the forums that I ran in the past was to place newbie members into a special usergroup.
as long as they were in that group, all their posts were moderated. means a moderator had to review and unlock them before they went public. once they reached 5 (published) posts, the system moved them into the usergroup that was not under moderation.

this worked very well to catch the spam accounts that were not detected by the script (too fast registration, etc.)

mizudg

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm

But imagine what someone has to do when he has to check let's say 10 different profiles every day, if not more. To say the least, it'd be boring and it shouldn't be the Moderators' main job. Hence why just rack up several posts and edit your profile. Easy as that. You could easily post a discussion about games and before you know it, you'll have your posts. Mine mostly came from organizing events and commenting on E3 last year.

RobbingHood

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Mizu's right about the effort it would take to check all newly registered users' posts. Lucky, the "new" antispam works well and we pretty much don't have spammers anymore.
I do understand your point about editing the profile, however I can't change it anyway, so I'll leave this for NoFaTe to decide.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Granted we're currently using a custom-built registration system which is completely uncoupled to the forums the possibility of spambots registering is greatly reduced. For that reason I have toned down the anti-spam measures in order to allow new users to change their profiles.

If anyone is still experiencing issues with their profile, please don't hesitate to let me know.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Return to “Administration Outpost”