WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Status Report - November 5, 2015

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:26 am

Server hosting is an important part of every multiplayer game, and a critical component of Venice Unleashed.

Up until recently, hosting a Venice Unleashed server required a Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 (or newer) host, along with several other third-party dependencies. However, we understand that not everyone can afford a Windows Server license (and the hardware to run it), and we therefore extended our efforts to make Venice Unleashed Dedicated Servers usable on more platforms.

Today we're happy to announce that these efforts have paid out, and VU Dedicated Servers can run on fully headless Linux machines.

In the above video you can see the main VU game instance, as well as the terminal of an Ubuntu 14.04 Server running in a local VM. The VU Dedicated Server is launched from the Ubuntu VM, and then joined from the VU game instance. Since the VU Dedicated Server can run in completely headless mode, it means that you can run unattended instances on Linux machines that don't have physical (or virtual) video output.

Even though VU Dedicated Servers on Linux aren't fully native (they run using the wine compatibility layer), their performance appears to comparable to their native Windows counterparts.

Additionally, setting them up is extremely simple, with no need for advanced configuration or lengthy integration techniques. This means that even those who are not that tech-savvy should be able to easily deploy and use VU Dedicated Servers on their Linux machines.

Now, it should be noted that all this is still in prototype stage, and even though initial testing hasn't showed any issues, we will only be able to fully assess the system and its performance once we more thoroughly test it during the next open testing session.

From everyone at Emulator Nexus, thank you, and stay tuned for our next status report!
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

XuluniX

Re: Status Report - November 5, 2015

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:43 am

Can't wait to test it.

Frankity

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:16 pm

good job, great news and this will be the gift of christmas for the bad guys.

Siilwyn

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:28 am

Again some really great news! I'll definitely set up a Digital Ocean server in Amsterdam for all Dutch players if the system requirements are not too high. :)

AlexEe

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:56 pm

wow. u just made my panties wet...
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

absol

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Thank you for this update! It sounds really promising for getting the community going quicker in the next beta wave

TheCaptain

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:32 pm

That feel when you have a server and are just waiting for the vu release :(

exp0devel

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:10 am

This is enormous work done :geek: OMG

Phoqe

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 pm

This project just keeps getting better and better, whatever is to come it will be worth the wait.
It's a step in the right direction to say the least, personally I like Linux based servers more than Windows.
Good job to NoFaTe and the rest of the team, you have my blessing.

PS: I am glad NoFaTe has the same music taste as me.

lycanwrath

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

This project is great indeed. I do appreciate that this is by no way a simple task to undertake and that it requires much time. But while time runs by, interest in this particular game is diminishing, most gamers I know of won't be going back to BF3 at this stage. I myself will probably test it when it launches someday but won't be putting that much gaming time into it.

Hopefully this project will mean that doing the same for newer titles will be somewhat an "easier" task or rime could create a completely new game experience .

Return to “Announcements”