WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Experience Gained, Lessons Learned

Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Earlier today our first Open Bughunting Season came to a close.
It is only because of your tremendous support and feedback that this event was a success!

You tested, you provided feedback, and we listened, and during the course of the past 3 days over 60 new issues were reported by you, out of which more than half have already been fixed! There were some issues that made the game almost completely unplayable at times, but thanks to your patience we managed to isolate and resolve most of them. If you want a complete list of changes that were made during the past two days, make sure to check our changelog.

During this test we learned several new things, not only about the game engine and our client, but also about the community.

For starters, we figured out that there's no single consumer-grade machine powerful enough to run one of our 120Hz servers with more than 30 players, and even that is pushing it. This didn't come to much surprise to us, as we already knew that the CPU requirements would rise, we just weren't sure about how much. We will be analyzing the data we collected in order to be able to more specifically provide hardware and bandwidth requirements for servers.

Secondly, we learned that events like these require better instrumentation. People need to be guided in what to do when testing something, and even though our setup worked well for most things, some players were still left confused and lost without guidance, something we will be definitely taking into consideration for our next test.

Finally, we saw great support and excitement from the competitive community.

Venice Unleashed aims to be an environment for all players, both competitive and casual, so we've been working hard on features that will make everybody's experience much better, from small changes to our interface and mod tools, to advanced tools for professional players and casters.

We will now be entering a period of slight silence, while we sort out and resolve all of the game-breaking and usability bugs you reported, and working on optimizing and putting the final touches on our backend services, in order to get one step closer to the ultimate and Unleashed Battlefield 3 experience!

Once again, we'd like to thank all of you who tested with us and provided valuable feedback.
This wouldn't have been possible without you!

From everyone at Emulator Nexus, thank you, and we hope to see you again soon in our next open test!
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Brady_The

Re: Experience Gained, Lessons Learned

Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice! It is awesome that you care with so much enthusiasm about Battlefield 3. It was a blast to be able to have a look into VU. Thank you for this opportunity and your work, and I cannot wait for the next public event. It is greatly appreciated!

Professor.Oak

Tue May 12, 2015 11:11 pm

We all love BF3. We will take any chance we have to help improve the games we love. Thank you Venice Unleashed team for being so awesome! :mrgreen:

Rodney
Contact: Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL Facebook Skype Twitter YouTube

Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 pm

NoFaTe wrote:For starters, we figured out that there's no single consumer-grade machine powerful enough to run one of our 120Hz servers with more than 30 players, and even that is pushing it. This didn't come to much surprise to us, as we already knew that the CPU requirements would rise, we just weren't sure about how much. We will be analyzing the data we collected in order to be able to more specifically provide hardware and bandwidth requirements for servers.

Just a little addition to that (mostly from looking at ProCon and server cpu load while also playing):
Server #002 was running mostly fine with around 32 players at 120 Hz. However, anything that would cause more load for example e a lot of vehicular warfare can possibly cause lags. Keep in mind that the simulation will only run in one thread and thus a CPU with high single thread performance is required (sorry AMD users). 32 players already causes somewhere between 80 to 95% CPU load (on the thread the simulation is running on) on Kharg Island with few vehicles currently in use. Something along the lines of an i7 4770 or Xeon E3-1241 v3 should be enough for 32 players at 120 Hz. Of course further analysis of the collected data will shine some more light on this.

Looking at what's currently on the market it is absolutely impossible to do 64 players at 120 Hz.
There used to be a signature here.

El Bucho

Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 am

It was really great to experience no blue tint, no suppression, spectator mode, high freq update and... night maps... oh god that one was so good

The community is also really good, a lot of M16A3 users but there is still in vanilla right ? :D

I've reported most of the bugs I've seen, focusing on the spectator mode.

The rare issues I had were forgotten by the great experience I had.

You guys are doing a great job and I'm sure this mod has a great future.

The best is to come I'm sure

TacTicToe

Wed May 13, 2015 5:20 am

This is our server setup, and the one I will host our future Venice server on. Currently hosting a few Rome servers and they run smooth as silk.

Full dedicated machine located in Atlanta GA datacenter, InterNAP bandwidth, gigabit ports and 20GBPS pipe up/down
Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 processor (four physical 3.6ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->4.0ghz) 8 cores total
32 GB DDR3-1600 ECC memory
240 GB SSD and 2000 GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
Unlimited monthly bandwidth allotment.

Our Rome servers and future Venice server are/will be installed on the SSD drive for an extra performance boost. I look forward to pushing it to its limits and seeing how beast it really is. 8-)

]Image

Dendari

Wed May 13, 2015 6:36 am

Damn, that server usage. I wonder what kind of machine is required to run a 10-16 players server (for competitive play). Also do the spectators have high bandwidth/cpu usage?

MAGIC

Wed May 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Yeh CPU load is pretty nasty. I wouldn't host a 32 slot server anyway

TacTicToe

Wed May 13, 2015 4:18 pm

MAGIC wrote:Yeh CPU load is pretty nasty. I wouldn't host a 32 slot server anyway

Why not? 32 not enough? Or more software related issues?
]Image

MAGIC

Wed May 13, 2015 4:43 pm

TacTicToe wrote:Why not? 32 not enough? Or more software related issues?

Well meant a 32 slot 120Hz one. When I want to run servers I want to host servers and not just one, which will happen when you host one 120Hz and the CPU will be 90%

Return to “Announcements”