WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
KillaN
Physically Based Rendering in BF3?

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 am

Hi,

First off, this is just an idea IF there is time for it. There are a lot of things that need to be done before things should be changed visual. Anyhow:

Battlefield 3 still uses the "old" method of rendering lighting/reflections in screen space, basicly they were between the transition of old to PBR.
It will be a time-consuming thing, but is it possible to switch to PBR or change lighting properties to something more realistic.
If I am correct, the Color and Bumpmap will be exactly the same, only Specular will need to have some minor tweaks (Colorbalance wise).
Reflection probes are already in-game considering the tone/atmoshpere in different areas of maps i believe.(CoD have had them since 2008).
These days there are a lot of references to PBR methods (UE 4 for example), so there might be a way.

Otherwise;

Tweaking the shaders so that they look better. The shaders currently look "flat". In theory, every object has reflections (basicly a value between =>1f and <0f). In Battlefield 3, this is not the case. So maybe it's interesting to look at that.

Sidenote: What's your opinion? Do you like the look/feel of BF3 or do you think improvements can be made?

Thanks for your time.

Lapin

Re: Physically Based Rendering in BF3?

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Are you thinking about some remplacing envmap system by some kind of GPU-Based Ray tracer ?

I think you should ask Boris Vorontsov about that, (The ENB guy).
He did remplace the envmap system in Skyrim (Well, the Bumpmap system) by a real reflection system.
Ding dong bannu

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”