WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
revoxtm
Bots

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:20 pm

What about adding a bot singleplayer, where you can play multiplayer maps with bots? The bot singleplayer was one of the best things in past Battlefield games. :roll:

Kerrigan

Re: Bots

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 pm

The idea is noble but the realization is very hard to accomplish.

The only waypoint system for AI opponents are in the singleplayer mode. The SP bots don't use tanks, jeeps, helicopters or jets.

All of those waypoints, behaviour patterns, objective capturing would have to be coded, scripted, set and all of that would have to be made by hand and nearly from scratch.

Maybe a talented modder can make that.

revoxtm

Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:58 pm

Oh okay.
I guess that this means the chances are fairly bad to see BF3 with bots. :|
But thank you. 8-)

Paulofonta

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:10 am

As with everything in life, it's a matter of someone having enough motivation to do it.

powback

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:35 am

We know Frostbite is capable of having bots in multiplayer (see coop). In theory, it shouldn't be harder than to replicate some of the coop maps to add spawn points and such. I don't know how their pathfinding and such works yet, but I'm sure we'll see something like it down the line.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

powback wrote:We know Frostbite is capable of having bots in multiplayer (see coop). In theory, it shouldn't be harder than to replicate some of the coop maps to add spawn points and such. I don't know how their pathfinding and such works yet, but I'm sure we'll see something like it down the line.

I once attempted hosting a co-op map on a dedicated server, and me and a friend joined to see how it worked.
Unfortunately, it looked like the AI was simulated differently on each client, meaning that actions one player performed didn't necessarily affect the behavior of the AI similarly in both client instances and the dedicated server.

It *could* be possible to make something like this work properly, but I haven't really looked into it further than that.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Upon closer inspection, Frostbite uses baked pathfinding data along with some behavioral templates to provide support for in-game AI. Pathfinding data is generated using some proprietary product called NavPower, so don't expect us to even attempt to look into how to generate pathfinding data ourselves.

Currently, only singleplayer and coop levels come bundled with pathfinding data.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”