WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
And We're Back!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 am

The past few days have been really hard, both for us and for you.
The servers had been going up and down all the time and the overall stability of them was compromised.

This was caused because of major changes to the servers (mainly related to the underlying database system and compatibility with *nix).
After fixing a bug, ten more would appear out of nowhere and after fixing those, even more would appear.
It took quite a lot of effort to get the servers to be fully functional again and even though now everything seems to be okay, there were some losses.

I'm basically referring to player stats.

When I was changing the way users login I realized that the stat saving and loading code was wrong all along, both from an architectural perspective and from a persistence perspective.

Therefore, when I fixed the persistence related issues (and only the architectural issues were left), many of you lost their stats, not because I deleted them or anything, but because they weren't being properly related to your account since the beginning.

Then I moved on to fixing the architectural issues and realized that I had two options:
1) Either get the mostly corrupt stats from before and manually modify them to match the new architecture while leaving those who lost their ranks in the dark, or
2) Introduce the new architecture and completely purge all stats, therefore maintaining consistency in the store/servers and equality amongst players.

I think that my final choice is pretty obvious.

Now this will probably be the last time stats are being reset, as it's now easy to export them and re-import them in the case of major changes to the server/client.

I would also like to state that the forums were disabled to prevent spam caused by the servers being offline and stat loss.

Now, moving on to what's actually changed, you can find a full changelog here.

As previously stated, the database system was completely changed (both for the servers and the forums).
This allows us for faster queries, better connection management and a cool set of features that we couldn't have previously.
It also has a huge impact on server performance.

Moreover, there were many changes related to connection management, query pooling, etc.
Previously the servers would be able to handle about 80 users logging in (not connecting) per second and a general total of about 2.5k connected users.

With the introduced changes the servers are now able to handle approximately 1k users logging in simultaneously (per second) and should be able to handle a total of about 18k connected users.

The changes that increased the performance to such levels were essential due to the upcoming release of the project currently codenamed 'Venice'.

The private API also had several changes and new methods implemented due to the upcoming release of the public API, which will allow you to request specific user stats, server listings, online stats, specific server info, etc. (more info on this will come at a later time).

Finally, the servers are now fully native and running on Linux (more specifically Ubuntu Server 12.10 x64).

Previously the servers were running under a Windows machine and were compiled in 32 bit 'mode'.
This would limit the performance of the servers and also the managerial abilities we had over them.

The servers are now updated and able to compile in 64 bit and run natively on Linux, increasing performance by a great factor and allowing us to easier manage and update them.

Now due to all those changes we would like to encourage server owners to restart their servers, just in case.

The servers haven't been completely stress tested yet and some bugs are expected to occur, so please don't freak out if suddenly they go offline.

Other than that, if you find any bug that did not occur in the previous versions of the game make sure to let me know by posting in the Suggestions and Feedback forum.

Have fun!
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

death_stalker_ak47

Re: And We're Back!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Powerrrrr :twisted:
WARNING

MindFreak1987

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Nice info! Just our stats are gone.But its also a new cool begining! :)
Moje je srce hotel Nacional, u njemu soba, nema im broja, za svaku moju ljubav po jedna, a do te svake po jedna tvoja.

qassouh

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 pm

wahoooo thx + wb
works fine
Qassouh :3

furiousTaher

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 pm

all stats have been reset which is kinda awkward, but didnt mind though coz venice project is more important than rome project (for us). Infrastructure of 1k logging in and 18k people playing is a big huge system, glad to hear it.

LETS GO VENICE :D

MadbaLL

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 am

@nofate

first of all, thank you for this detailed explanation on what was going on lately. i'm glad and thankful that you've managed to improve quality and quantity of servers. i think it is what matter most.

coming to those two options/decisions you've had to make, i would have made the same one if i were you. i think decision you've made is the best one under those circumstances.

however, implication of all this what took place in recent days, in my case means that unfortunately i won't be playing "rome" that often like before because of the lost stats. it took me whole 3 months just to get to rank 19, since i don't have so much time to play games like maybe other nexus players do. i work and my job and other personal related things caught my time limited. also, other reason is that i simply lost the joy to go after it all over again. this game is not like call of duty ones, where you can rank up in couple of days or weeks. this game's challange is on the whole higher level.

i don't regret that we all lost the stats, because of huge improvements you and your team made during downtime. i fully understand that something had to "pay the price" :) for the progress to be made. i will play this game sometimes, but my main focus now will be "venice", of course when it's done. and my only hope and whish is that we'll never loose a stats for that game like we did with "rome".

thank you for everything

ikaruz

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:10 am

Gratz to NoFate and his Team for the great job at this server!!

Hacozz

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 am

tc0566 wrote:I can login,but I can't see that any servers are online

yeah me too :(

Garrett(Pooria)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:34 am

In emulatornexus we trust ;)

Cykid30

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 am

Can anyone tell me when our "new" stats will start to save?
I mean, loosing our stats wasn't awsome but it was for the greater good, but will the stats start to save again any time soon?
Thx

Return to “Announcements”