WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Re: Server Hosting in Venice Unleashed

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 am

To answer your questions:

The hardware requirements for hosting the server should be the same as the regular dedicated servers (I had the exact requirements somewhere but I can't find them right now).

As Paulofonta correctly stated, the client-hosted dedicated server does allocate more RAM in order to actually load the level, however usage after that remains similar to the normal dedicated server. (I haven't seen it grow more than 150MB of usage on initial map load, compared to the 100MB the normal dedicated server uses).

As to whether it's stable, I'm happy to inform you that I've found it to actually be more stable that the normal dedicated server.

There is some functionality still missing, which mostly includes team management (balancing), Conquest flag logic, and RCON, however we are currently working on re-implementing everything.

Speaking of RCON, as I said it's currently missing from the client, but worry not because we are re-implementing, and extending it with our custom commands, so can manage your servers via your favorite administration tool (eg. ProCon) like you normally would.

We might not be able to provide every single command when the Closed Beta launches, however we will make sure that we provide everything you need.

Finally, when it comes to hosting limitations and management, as RobbingHood correctly stated, this is an effort to prevent abusive use of our services.
The limits and the upgrade criteria will be pretty generous, so don't worry about not being able to host the amount of servers you want.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Sammuel

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 am

I saw one of your Youtube videos displaying some LAN server functionality, would that require a internet connection to activate/validate a key?
Check out my latest project! http://popcorntime.io

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 am

Sammuel wrote:I saw one of your Youtube videos displaying some LAN server functionality, would that require a internet connection to activate/validate a key?

LAN functionality will not be available on launch, however, when it becomes available it will not require any kind of internet connection/keys.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Kerrigan

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 am

Judging the implementation of the dedicated server into the client, it's stability and it's RAM usage this all seems pretty good to me. Last thing to fix would be the size.. but that follows later.

TacTicToe

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 am

Seems to me we need a decent MP rip of the game, to limit the transfer size. I currently host a BC2 server on our box, and am looking forward to hosting a Venice server. I am allocated quite a large chunk of bandwidth per month, so installing the third party software needed to download Venice to my box is not an issue. What would be nice, is if there were a script or batch file of some sort to strip out all the unnecessary single player stuff that wont be needed.
]Image

MAGIC

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm

I bet Paulo already created a script/batch file :p

Paulofonta

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51 pm

MAGIC wrote:I bet Paulo already created a script/batch file :p

As I said, I'll only be looking into that during the beta stage of VU (every change needs to be properly tested).
But just deleting files won't cut enough space.

Blackend00o

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm

:D best news ever
i try to log in (using the forum user name and pass) on the Venice blog but i can't see any thing,only the home page
i hope i can host a server soon

neverhangover

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 am

Paulofonta wrote:

As I said, I'll only be looking into that during the beta stage of VU (every change needs to be properly tested).

You'll be looking into that when the beta launches ?

First of all, I'd like to state that I love this project and I respect NoFate and his crew for working on it for zero payment. I would love nothing more than to finally play it.

But I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here, because someone has to.

Let's look at our timeline here:

February 2013 - Announcement of Venice or at least a project to allow modding for BF3.
April 22, 2013 - Full blown project now, called Venice Unleashed, Closed beta enlistment open.
September 6, 2013 - NoFate says Venice could've been out in July.
September 14, 2013 - Closed beta enlistment closed, implying that it should launch soon.
November 1,2013 - Outcome launches. Almost irrelevant, but still, awesome. (Using it ever since)
November 25, 2013 - Suddenly a random NFS:Rivals project.
January 19, 2014 - AWESOME! Finally a sign of progress - somewhat functional LAN game
January 23, 2014 - AWESOME! Another sign of progress - Dedicated server from the client itself.
January 26, 2014 - F*CKING AWESOME! Blog/Forum open!

January 27, 2014 - On this very topic - Nofate: "We might not be able to provide every single command WHEN THE Closed Beta LAUNCHES, however we will make sure that we provide everything you need."

Questions:
1. If it is only now that we have the possibility to host our own servers, which allow for modding, then what could've been released in July? An icon ?
2. Everyone is still saying " When the closed beta launches..." ???!?!? Considering that a full blown RELEASE was scheduled (sort of) for July, will that mighty Closed Beta start before BF 5 and it's 205 DLCs release ? or that Closed beta will go down in the time intervall of a british afternoon tea party?

Awaiting my ban from the forums, I must add, that if a somewhat functional open beta would've been released in July, when the nightmare called BF4 was not half-*ssly released yet and focus was still on BF3, every modder and their dog (there should definitely be a 1000 from that 10 046 enlisted players) could've stuck their d*ck in it, and we would already have modded servers up and running, pushing the limits of mainstream networks and DICE's Frostbite 2.

I totally get and appriciate the fact that our hope on the battlefield, NoFate, tries to release a fully-fledged admin friendly tool and client kit, but as time passes, BF3 will be more and more irrelevant. Venice will sink in popularity and fame from the level of an all-star open source modding celebrity, to a System Shock 2 texture mod. and believe me, BF3 is not nearly as timeless as System Shock 2. I fear that if this doesn't reach release in time, it will lose all the support it could've had.

Sammuel

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 am

neverhangover wrote:
Paulofonta wrote:

You'll be looking into that when the beta launches ?

First of all, I'd like to state that I love this project and I respect NoFate and his crew for working on it for zero payment. I would love nothing more than to finally play it.

But I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here, because someone has to.

Let's look at our timeline here:

February 2013 - Announcement of Venice or at least a project to allow modding for BF3.
April 22, 2013 - Full blown project now, called Venice Unleashed, Closed beta enlistment open.
September 6, 2013 - NoFate says Venice could've been out in July.
September 14, 2013 - Closed beta enlistment closed, implying that it should launch soon.
November 1,2013 - Outcome launches. Almost irrelevant, but still, awesome. (Using it ever since)
November 25, 2013 - Suddenly a random NFS:Rivals project.
January 19, 2014 - AWESOME! Finally a sign of progress - somewhat functional LAN game
January 23, 2014 - AWESOME! Another sign of progress - Dedicated server from the client itself.
January 26, 2014 - F*CKING AWESOME! Blog/Forum open!

January 27, 2014 - On this very topic - Nofate: "We might not be able to provide every single command WHEN THE Closed Beta LAUNCHES, however we will make sure that we provide everything you need."

Questions:
1. If it is only now that we have the possibility to host our own servers, which allow for modding, then what could've been released in July? An icon ?
2. Everyone is still saying " When the closed beta launches..." ???!?!? Considering that a full blown RELEASE was scheduled (sort of) for July, will that mighty Closed Beta start before BF 5 and it's 205 DLCs release ? or that Closed beta will go down in the time intervall of a british afternoon tea party?

Awaiting my ban from the forums, I must add, that if a somewhat functional open beta would've been released in July, when the nightmare called BF4 was not half-*ssly released yet and focus was still on BF3, every modder and their dog (there should definitely be a 1000 from that 10 046 enlisted players) could've stuck their d*ck in it, and we would already have modded servers up and running, pushing the limits of mainstream networks and DICE's Frostbite 2.

I totally get and appriciate the fact that our hope on the Bettlefold, NoFate, tries to release a fully-fledged admin friendly tool and client kit, but as time passes, BF3 will be more and more irrelevant. Venice will sink in popularity and fame from the level of an all-star open source modding celebrity, to a System Shock 2 texture mod. and believe me, BF3 is not nearly as timeless as System Shock 2. I fear that if this doesn't reach release in time, it will lose all the support it could've had.

I got to admit the man has a point; That being said VU is really a privilege not a right.
Check out my latest project! http://popcorntime.io

Return to “Blog”