WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Re: Server Hosting in Venice Unleashed

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 am

Hey neverhangover, I appreciate your feedback and I'll try to address your concerns in the best way I can.

Concerning the possible 'July release' as mentioned in one of my blog posts, we did have both dedicated servers and a very primitive version of the Venice Extension system implemented in our client.

However, at that point we were still emulating Blaze, something that limited our ability to provide our users with some of the features we wanted to include in our project.

Additionally, many other features we had planned were not even in a properly researched state, meaning that we would have to drag our users along in the closed beta in order to implement them (something we didn't want to do), and god knows how long that would've taken.

From another perspective, if we had deployed a semi-functional project for the open beta, it would've been a nightmare to manage and update, without causing greats amounts of stress for both us and our players.

Finally, the code was a mess. Nothing was organized properly, and basically everything was hacked together in order to provide basic functionality.

Admittedly, we did stop working on VU for quite a period of time, mostly due to other obligations like work and studies.

However, we've gone a long way since then.

We started looking at the development and deployment of VU in a more professional manner, which lead us to the decision of not making big compromises, so we can deliver what we believe to be a quality product.
Sure, it might be more stressful and time consuming for us, however that's a challenge we happily accepted.

(Fun fact: We are currently in the second full rewrite of VU [currently with more focus on structure and modularity for future projects], and the first full rewrite of our custom backend services)

I admit that VU was announced earlier than it should have, and that we haven't done a great job with informing our users about our progress. However, all that is already changing.

If you have any other questions and/or concerns, feel free to let us know (same applies to everyone).

And as our good friend Gabe Newell says: "Hopefully, it will have been worth the wait!".
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Kerrigan

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

@NoFaTe +1

Difficult to have an argument against that statement. ;)

Paulofonta

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 am

neverhangover wrote:
Paulofonta wrote:
MAGIC wrote:I bet Paulo already created a script/batch file :p

As I said, I'll only be looking into that during the beta stage of VU (every change needs to be properly tested).
But just deleting files won't cut enough space.

You'll be looking into that when the beta launches ?

Yes.
I host all my LAN servers on a 120Gb SSD (and I can't afford a bigger SSD right now). So, space is gold.
And I know a couple of people who will be asking me for help setting up servers, so that's another reason for me to make a server installation as light as possible, to make the deployments faster.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Some posts in this topic have been moved to a new topic here.
Please try to keep this on-topic.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

WarBeast-GT-

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 pm

As we can see in one of NoFaTe's videos, the player count shows 1/68. Does that mean we can host servers with more than 64 slots?

Kerrigan

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm

WarBeast-GT- wrote:As we can see in one of NoFaTe's videos, the player count shows 1/68. Does that mean we can host servers with more than 64 slots?

Could be reserved slots for spectators.

zesty

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Kerrigan wrote:
WarBeast-GT- wrote:As we can see in one of NoFaTe's videos, the player count shows 1/68. Does that mean we can host servers with more than 64 slots?

Could be reserved slots for spectators.

4 spectator slots, already confirmed it via #emulatornexus.

Kerrigan

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm

zesty wrote:4 spectator slots, already confirmed it via #emulatornexus.

Well since i'm not 24/7 online on the IRC i didn't know. Sorry. :)

But my guessing wasn't that bad either. ;D

WarBeast-GT-

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Fix for the big server size is coming <3
http://kiwidog.me/?p=396

TacTicToe

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:02 am

WarBeast-GT- wrote:Fix for the big server size is coming <3
http://kiwidog.me/?p=396

THIS is excellent news. Exactly what I was hoping for. 8-)
]Image

Return to “Blog”