WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
utopiate
Re: Server Hosting in Venice Unleashed

Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 pm

TacTicToe wrote:
utopiate wrote:Any server keys available yet?

Nope. However as there really aren't any players either at this time, and with the inability for new people to create an account, its a bit of a moot point. :|

hey TicTac hows you? So peeps can't even sign up for Rome? anymore? Venice it seems will never arrive. Such a shame as have been hyped for it but its been 4 years lol

TacTicToe

Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 am

I'm good, just doing my thing. Not sure about the Rome, I know there have been several threads about Venice. Kiwi I believe stated the ability to create new soldiers would be addressed in the next update. Venice should be ready to go fully by the time BF8 comes out, I'm quite certain of it. :)

We have a server online for testing, running Metro 24/7 atm. Gets a few players here and there but nothing much. Real damn shame too.

I wonder if they have done any testing yet with Win 2016 server. Not sure if there would be a performance boost, but who knows?
]Image

tratos

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 am

Without the possibility to set up their own servers at home, the project will take years, since the interest has decreased. Just program a fix Localhost IP into the software and release this version for testing as a download.

TacTicToe

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:48 pm

tratos wrote:Without the possibility to set up their own servers at home, the project will take years, since the interest has decreased. Just program a fix Localhost IP into the software and release this version for testing as a download.

That works for me! Last thing we need or want to see are people trying to host and run these servers on their crappy low end computers and bandwidth from home. I would love to see something implemented where only commercial grade IPs can be used, meaning you have to host it off an actual dedicated server box in a datacenter. As it should be.

Private matches are different, you could host that off any toaster you like from home.
]Image

tratos

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pm

It is already for many uninteresting because BF3 server already for home users are available, even for the Battlefield 4 server, there are runnable environments.

If a project is to be developed successfully, you also need options here without renting your own root server for $ 100 when the server hardware is in the basement, as most desktop PCs can now compete with 8 cores.

I understand that you do not want to trust anyone with this task, because otherwise you would rather do the support of the users, but I would be interested in comparing a Venice environment as a test server. But since there are already BF3 server solutions, I'm not reliant on the ServerKey's for download, but it might be time to name this project, maybe it's time to call a date, the ROME project much better here.

TacTicToe

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 am

tratos wrote:If a project is to be developed successfully, you also need options here without renting your own root server for $ 100 when the server hardware is in the basement, as most desktop PCs can now compete with 8 cores.

An 8 core desktop PC does not compare to an 8 (or more) cores for a server blade. Not even on the same playing field. Also, residential bandwidth does not compare. This is the kind of game server that needs to be hosted on a full dedicated machine. Period.

For example, the bandwidth of our servers are 30GBPS and 100GBPS connected via gigabit ports and professional DDoS mitigation. Youre not going to get that on a residential desktop PC. If you can not understand the difference between a professionally hosted dedicated machine vs a desktop PC, then sorry but you just prove the point why you should not be hosting a server. You would only be doing the community a dis-service.
]Image

tratos

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm

I run even root server at Hetzner AG who would own these specifications,
but that was not my topic. I always consider development environments to be Local without Internet and even in my apartment I used fiber optic trunk connections between my two DLINK DGS-1210-16 switches. So speed and ping are rather the smaller problem. And thanks to BSHTornado, the BF3 Blaze is already available and the project can be used without Venice Unleashed. The project has potential but there are very few developers working on it. It is like some other projects that it eventually goes offline and Destroy the Ideas. Therefore the suggestion to install fixed Locale IPs in order to be able to outsource developments.

Tratos

TacTicToe

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:30 am

So if you already have everything you need, then why are you here?
]Image

tratos

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:23 am

To see what the project is or could have become.

Return to “Blog”