WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
StrykerDE
[RELEASE] BFBC2 Mod Loader

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:40 pm

*BFBC2 Mod Loader*
Created by Heico

Description

BFBC2 Mod Loader allows you to install your client & server side mods easy & fast without modifying or replacing original game files, so you don't need to waste time for creating backups of your files anymore. To make this possible I modified two tiny text files of the game that specifies the fbrb. archives which are to be loaded by the game. With BFBC2 Mod Loader installed the game loads a few additional fbrb. archives which are located in BFBC2 Root\package\mods. My tool manages these archives and installs mods to it.

Works with Singleplayer, Multiplayer & Vietnam Add-On!

New: BFBC2 Mod Loader has a server and map browser now!

Features:

-Easy & fast installation of BFBC2 Mod Loader compatible mods
-Modifies only a few mod archives instead of ~1000 original game archives
-Does not modify original archives/files except two tiny text files 
-Detects conflicts and blocks installation so you don't mess up your mod archive
-Disable & enable all mods and revert modified files back to original without deleting all mods
-A server and map browser that let you easily download and install custom maps
-UI for managing your mods (enable/disable and delete single mods, change load order etc.)

Please consider supporting me by reporting bugs, giving feedback, making suggestions or endorsing this mod if you like it.

You are server owner, modder or mod user and want to discuss about Battlefield mods and modding?
Join Battlefield Modding Discord! A Discord server all about modding the Battlefield series!

You just want to talk about BFBC2 in general? Or find people to play with? 
Join UNITY Gamers Forum and UNITY Gamers Discord.

For Modders

Until the release of the BFBC2 Toolkit you have to create and pack the mods manually.
You can use the mod templates located under "Miscellaneous Files" as an orientation.

To learn how to create mods make sure to check out Venice Unleashed Forum, Napisal's Youtube Channel and our Discord server.

BFBC2 Toolkit and detailed instructions will follow soon™!

For Server Owners

If you have mods installed on your server and would like your server to be added to the server browser of this tool, please contact me here.
You can also join Battlefield Modding Discord and contact me there or just contact me directly: Heico#5562.

Joining https://discord.gg/sGuMEHcBattlefield Modding Discord is recommended if you don't want to miss an update for BFBC2 Mod Loader or a map anymore.

Known Issues

No known issues yet.

If you find a bug or the tool does not start at all please don't hesitate to report it to me!

Compatibility

Not compatible with mods that are modifying "package.mft" or "bundleManifest", but they can be made compatible by either modifying the "package.mft" and "bundleManifest" or by repacking the mod like described in the section "For Modders" above. I may add a tutorial soon™.

Compatible Mods

-No Bad Filter
-No Vietnam Filter
-Enhanced Draw Distance
-Vehicle HUD Overhaul
-No Lens Flare
-Explosions Emit Light
-Weapon Skins
-No Intro
-Bad Company Menu Theme
-BF1943 Critical Health Filter

For more BFBC2 mods and information, visit Venice Unleashed & UNITY Gamers!

Requirements

-.NET Framework 4.6.1
-Python 2.7 (must be installed directly to C:\ drive)

Installation

Client

1. Copy all files and folders to your BFBC2 root folder. (where BFBC2Game.exe is located)
2. Execute "BFBC2ModLoader.exe" and click "Install Mod" to install a compatible mod.
3. That's it, enjoy! 

Server

1. Copy all files and folders to your server root folder. (where Frost.Game.Main_Win32_Final.exe is located)
2. Execute "BFBC2ModLoader.exe" and click "Install Mod" to install a compatible mod.
3. That's it, enjoy! 

Note: If you have both client & server you also need to install the tool for both.
To avoid confusion, I recommend to create a shortcut for both exe files and rename them to "BFBC2 Mod Loader Client" & "BFBC2 Mod Loader Server" for example. Only install client mods to client and server mods to server or it will cause issues and mess up your mod archive! 
Tip: The title of my tool tells you if it is in client or server mode, so you always know which exe file you have opened.

Permissions

-Feel free to share pictures or videos about my tools, but credits would be nice.
-Do NOT include my tools or parts of it in your mods, you need to link my tool if it is required for your mod!
-Do NOT (re)share my tools on Nexus Mods or other sites!
-Do NOT sell my tools or parts of it!

If you need specific permissions not listed here, don't hesitate to contact me.

My mods are exclusive to Nexus Mods!

Note: Different rules apply to third party content, see ...\BFBC2ModLoader\Docs\Licenses or the licenses below.

Credits

-Frankelstner for his Python script which packs the .fbrb archive. Without his work in the BF Community "BFBC2 Mod Loader" would not be possible! 
-Napisal & bad .baubau for all the time they invested to figure out how Frostbite works. Without them I would not even know about BFBC2 modding.
-Yasirkula for providing the code of his FileDownloader class, which my tool uses to download large files from Google Drive.
-Danny Beckett for providing the code of his IniFile class, which my tool uses to handle ini files.
-Icons8 for providing several icons, which my tool uses for some buttons. (license)
-MahApps.Metro library © 2019 MahApps for expanding WPF's design possibilities (license)
-ControlzEx library © 2015-2019 Jan Karger, Bastian Schmidt (license)
-Microsoft for the development environment "Visual Studio".
-DICE & Electronic Arts for the game "Battlefield".

Disclaimer

Since this tool modifies two game files directly, there is always the risk of a BAN! I'm using client side mods (only cosmetic stuff) on both official servers (Punkbuster protected) and Nexus Emulator/Project Rome servers for a long time now without any problems yet. Even the official servers are modded as hell, so I don't expect a ban in the future. I'm still NOT responsible for any BAN you get, so use this mod on your OWN RISK!

Download on Nexus Mods!
No direct download link, you will be redirected to the main page of this mod on Nexus Mods.

Note: Requires an account on Nexus Mods to download which is completely free!
Last edited by StrykerDE on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:19 am, edited 19 times in total.

StrykerDE

Re: [RELEASE] BFBC2 Mod Loader

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Changelog

Version 1.1.0
-Added compatibility for server files
-Added enable & disable all mods function
-Added check if folder structure of mod is correct
-Added check if BFBC2 Mod Loader is installed correctly
-Improved exception handling
-Improved tool tips (mouse over info)
-Updated Readme.txt

Nasipal

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 am

Hello, good work. But, my mods is already have Clean(original files not touched), easy installation and uninstalaltion function, also i found how to use additional file, long time ago, and it is used by first client mod pack from start: it is change only one mft file and add new one modded file what apply changes/mods to each level, and if you delete that file mod will be uninstalled. (Dont know why you made no vietnam philter - by changing default common file - maybe before you start made own mods - try to look how exist work first or ask). Any way logic of using one more extra file was subscribed in one of my post here. Same can be done for server. Also you forget to ask mod developer about to add mods to your project(maybe i not agree or i want to help etc)
And i will not change my mods to adapt it to your loader, it is created for players, with easy install, uninstall function. It is use own folder in package, it is work well exact from that place! So if you want - made adaptation of mods by own hands. Good luck!

If you need any help - feel free to ask, also my next new mods can be made with modloader support, but first need to test all things, and maybe some thing inside it need to be changed

StrykerDE

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Nasipal wrote:Hello, good work. But, my mods is already have Clean(original files not touched), easy installation and uninstalaltion function, also i found how to use additional file, long time ago, and it is used by first client mod pack from start: it is change only one mft file and add new one modded file what apply changes/mods to each level, and if you delete that file mod will be uninstalled.

Thanks, yes I know, I found out about package.mft because of your mods.

Nasipal wrote:(Dont know why you made no vietnam philter - by changing default common file - maybe before you start made own mods - try to look how exist work first or ask). Any way logic of using one more extra file was subscribed in one of my post here. Same can be done for server.

I did know about package.mft when I started modding, but for such a small mod I did not want to modify the package.mft because it would have made my mods incompatible with every other mod which modifies package.mft like your "client mod pack". Therefore I created this tool which modifies the package.mft only one time and then places all mods (Client Mod Pack, No Vietnam Filter etc.) into an extra fbrb archive to avoid these compatibility issues. One of my biggest let down was, that I could not use all mods together which are modifying package.mft, my tool provides an easy fix for it.

As an example:

Mod A modifies:

dist\win32\package.mft
Animations\Test.dbx
Effects\Test2.dbx

Mod B modifies:

dist\win32\package.mft
Objects\Example.dbx
Weather\Example2.dbx

Both mods would normally be compatible, but they are not because both mods are modifying package.mft. To avoid this I created BFBC2 Mod Loader.
So after making both mods compatible it would look like:

BFBC2 Mod Loader modifies:

dist\win32\package.mft

Mod A modifies:

Animations\Test.dbx
Effects\Test2.dbx

Mod B modifies:

Objects\Example.dbx
Weather\Example2.dbx

level-00.fbrb after my tool installed both mods to it:

Animations\Test.dbx
Effects\Test2.dbx
Objects\Example.dbx
Weather\Example2.dbx

If both mods would include a package.mft, one mod would simply overwrite the other mod and you would only have the changes of the mod that was installed last.

Nasipal wrote:Also you forget to ask mod developer about to add mods to your project(maybe i not agree or i want to help etc)

I did not include your mods in my BFBC2 Mod Loader (The tool includes NO mods at all, it's just the tool) so I thought I don't need to ask you. I just included a link to your mod in my description as a recommendation, but if you don't want this I will remove the link from the description of course!

Feel free to help me, also other people should feel free to help me by providing bug reports, suggestions etc.

Nasipal wrote:And i will not change my mods to adapt it to your loader, it is created for players, with easy install, uninstall function. It is use own folder in package, it is work well exact from that place! So if you want - made adaptation of mods by own hands. Good luck!

It's completely ok if you don't want to make your mods compatible. Mod users can also make your mods compatible themselves. Every modder should feel free to use my tool or not. I don't force anyone to use my tool!

Nasipal wrote:If you need any help - feel free to ask, also my next new mods can be made with modloader support, but first need to test all things, and maybe some thing inside it need to be changed

Don't stress yourself, you don't need to include Mod Loader support if you don't want to. Thanks for your offer to help me, if I have a question about modding I will ask here of course.

Please don't hesitate to make things clear if I misunderstood something.

Regards, Heico

StrykerDE

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 am

Changelog

Version 1.1.1
-Added DotNetZip library for faster and better handling of zip archives
-Added function to overwrite existing files (mainly for updating mods)
-Improved zip archive related performance
-Improved a few small things (QOL)

StrykerDE

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 am

Changelog

Version 1.1.2
-Reduced file size
-Reduced memory usage
-Improved general performance
-Improved detection of compatible mod
-Cleaned up a few internal things
-Updated Readme.txt

StrykerDE

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Changelog

Version 1.2.0
-Added support for terrain.fbrb, loader.fbrb, ingame.fbrb, startup.fbrb & mainmenu.fbrb
-Added event logger so the user can follow the progress better
-Added Description.ini templates under "Miscellaneous Files" (for modders)
-Partially rewrote and optimized code for the installation process
-Fixed an issue that occurred while resizing window
-Fixed an issue that could occur while deleting server mods
-Improved exception handling (e.g. detailed error log is written to ErrorLog.txt now)
-Improved several QOL things (tooltips, more detailed event log etc.)
-Cleaned up a few internal things
-Uploaded screenshot
-Updated Readme.txt

StrykerDE

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Changelog

Version 1.3.0
-Added UI for managing mods (enable/disable and delete single mods, change load order, show info* etc.)
-Added support for modpacks (mods that require modification of 2 or more fbrb archives)
-Added support for maps (WIP)
-*Added a window that shows the user additional info about a selected mod. (Placeholder) (WIP)
-Added config files to be able to save settings
-Added scrollbar to event logger
-Added mod templates and updated Description.ini templates (for modders)
-Improved enable/disable mods function (if mods are disabled most UI elements are disabled too, enabled/disabled state will be saved now etc.)
-Improved delete all mods function (removed tick box to enable "Delete Mods" button, instead a yes/no message box will appear now)
-Improved several QOL things again (UI, tooltips, more detailed event log etc.)
-Improved exception handling again (even more detailed error log, more exceptions are written to ErrorLog.txt now etc.)
-Python script consoles are hidden now
-Fixed a small UI issue
-Cleaned up internal things even more
-Uploaded screenshots

Note: Make sure to also download the latest version of my mods, older versions are not compatible anymore!

StrykerDE

Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Changelog

Version 1.4.0
-Added server browser (download and install all required maps for a server with a few clicks)
-Added map browser (download and install single maps with a few clicks, works for client and server)
-Added settings tab (includes only a button to check for updates manually yet)
-Added full map support (all types of maps should be fully supported now)
-Added 'Mixed' mode support for all custom maps (Conquest and Rush maps in one list)
-Added automatic update function for server and map browser list
-Added mod info window (replaced placeholder with a fancier version)
-Added latest news window (WIP)
-Added 'Start Game' button
-Added Procon config files under 'Miscellaneous Files' (for server owners)
-Improved several QOL things again (UI, tooltips, more detailed event log etc.)
-Restructured UI a bit to better fit the new tab control system
-Removed 'Close' button (it was just a placeholder)
-Uploaded screenshots to Nexus Mods

StrykerDE

Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Info: A test server called "Diesel vs Heico" is up. As a start five custom maps are installed on this server (one with planes/jets). Make sure to check it out.
To install the required maps open BFBC2 Mod Loader, navigate to the "Server Browser", click on the server and then click "Install Mods". Be patient, the download and installation may take a while. How long it needs depends on your internet speed and the processing power of your computer (estimated average time is ~15 minutes). The tool could get in the "Not Responding" state. No worry, the tool is still working. Do NOT click hysterical around! A message box will appear when everything is done. Enjoy!

Return to “Modifications”