WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
ChuckMCCluck
Server Roomate Problems.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 am

I have a very specific and strange problem. So I got a Bad Company 2 server up and running and it worked fine but my friend who is behind the same router as me, since we are roommates, is not able to connect to my server, it will just time out. Everyone else can join and even I can join my server just not him. I figured it was a port or IP conflict issue so I've tried everything from setting up each of our PCs a different local static IPs and different ports but none of that worked.

To clarify our setup I run the server and connect to my own server on the same machine. Hes on a different machine and on the same router as me but he times out whenever he tries to connect. Other people can connect just fine though. I've had this problem with a number of different servers I've tried to host so I'm starting to believe its got something to do with the way we are trying to connect to each other.

mizudg

Re: Server Roomate Problems.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 am

You are correct, the issue is coming from both of you connecting to the same server, because you have the same IP. In the past, changing the ports on one of the clients fixed this for me. Try running the game with a different port and see if it works.

ChuckMCCluck

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:08 am

The thing is is that I have tried changing the ports on the games client and it didn't have any effect. I created two shortcuts each of them go to each of our Bad Company 2 exes and I put +clientport and two different port numbers after the target line in the shortcut. I must elaborate that he cannot join my server even when I am not on it and we can join other servers together perfectly fine. Is there maybe a way for him to connect locally since we are on the same network so we rid ourselves of connection issues entirely?

ChuckMCCluck

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:09 am

mizudg wrote:You are correct, the issue is coming from both of you connecting to the same server, because you have the same IP. In the past, changing the ports on one of the clients fixed this for me. Try running the game with a different port and see if it works.

The thing is is that I have tried changing the ports on the games client and it didn't have any effect. I created two shortcuts each of them go to each of our Bad Company 2 exes and I put +clientport and two different port numbers after the target line in the shortcut. I must elaborate that he cannot join my server even when I am not on it and we can join other servers together perfectly fine. Is there maybe a way for him to connect locally since we are on the same network so we rid ourselves of connection issues entirely?

Return to “Help and Support”