WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
Freeshnik
Re: We need to force higher quality servers

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:24 am

TacTicToe wrote:It is not just the servers, it is the players themselves that seem a bit clueless. I see people from the opposite side of the planet, no reason for them to be connecting to our server, and yet they are. They are trying to play with their crappy 400-600 ping. It is getting to a point where I want to enable the firewall on my box and just start blocking traffic from Australia, Russia, China etc...

So don't blame it all on the server providers. Perhaps we need to have some sort of common sense competency test for the players as well?

MAGIC wrote:Too bad I don't know any american server hosting companies which offers great servers to a good price

https://www.nfoservers.com/

And now you know! 8-)

I blame server providers! The solution is pingkicker plugin for procon with 250 ms.

AlexEe

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Freeshnik wrote:I blame server providers! The solution is pingkicker plugin for procon with 250 ms.

Same exists and by default integrated in b3
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

TacTicToe

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:02 am

I have tried using ping kickers myself, but then you are lucky to get a half full server. I think the ping kickers just dont work properly for this game.
]Image

himapapa

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am

@ACanadianKernel:

Assuming that it is Rome we are talking about, I don't really got the point.

What makes a Rome server more quality than the other one? Imho there are two aspects:
- technical infrastructre
- administration

1. Technical infrastructure
As posted in this thread before, it is a survival of the fastest. Players are free to join a server which fits their needs. And they do. You can regulate and activate a ping kicker at a certain level. But keep in mind that a majority of the active Rome players are from the eastern part of the globe. So there are two sides of the coin: With ping kicker activated you may take your time to fill servers. Even worse: With a new server, which is unknown pb players, it may fail even with good infrastructure right from the start, for players choose servers where many others are playing already.

2. Administration
As you know there's no working anti-cheat for Rome atm. The server with the best technical infrastructure ever is doomed to fail - if there's no/too little adminstration. It's not about setting up like procon, b3 or rconnet. Regular players will stay on your server when they realize you care of keeping it's clean - and that means *a lot* of manual in-game-checking and -testing of suspicious players.

Putting all these into certain standards would be kind of "challenging" - speaking of Rome servers at the current situation. The only way I could imagine would be creating a kind of seal of approval, in the means of speed and reliability. But that won't lead to "high quality servers" by itself.

AlexEe

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 pm

TacTicToe wrote:I have tried using ping kickers myself, but then you are lucky to get a half full server. I think the ping kickers just dont work properly for this game.

hm.. for me is is working quite well
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

Bruce Lee

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:01 am

himapapa wrote:@ACanadianKernel:

Assuming that it is Rome we are talking about, I don't really got the point.

What makes a Rome server more quality than the other one? Imho there are two aspects:
- technical infrastructre
- administration

1. Technical infrastructure
As posted in this thread before, it is a survival of the fastest. Players are free to join a server which fits their needs. And they do. You can regulate and activate a ping kicker at a certain level. But keep in mind that a majority of the active Rome players are from the eastern part of the globe. So there are two sides of the coin: With ping kicker activated you may take your time to fill servers. Even worse: With a new server, which is unknown pb players, it may fail even with good infrastructure right from the start, for players choose servers where many others are playing already.

2. Administration
As you know there's no working anti-cheat for Rome atm. The server with the best technical infrastructure ever is doomed to fail - if there's no/too little adminstration. It's not about setting up like procon, b3 or rconnet. Regular players will stay on your server when they realize you care of keeping it's clean - and that means *a lot* of manual in-game-checking and -testing of suspicious players.

Putting all these into certain standards would be kind of "challenging" - speaking of Rome servers at the current situation. The only way I could imagine would be creating a kind of seal of approval, in the means of speed and reliability. But that won't lead to "high quality servers" by itself.

How about a little reality check, eh?

1. DU4 servers run like laggy garbage 99% of the time. It is pointless to join their servers because they are so laggy that I can't even aim since its so jittery. By comparison the CCCP server is as smooth as butter even though my ping is +50 higher.

2. I would estimate that at least half of the admins on the DU4 servers could only be described as petty-minded, power-tripping nitwits at best. I myself was kicked by a DU4 admin while clearing obstacles for the Russian base vads. When I tried to rejoin the server it said I was banned for attacking the team base. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course since DU4 kicks are GUID bans, that meant that the kick was a perm-ban. :roll:
(On a positive note, I have been on the DU4 servers enough to get a rough idea of who the worst badmins are at least.)

3. DU4 has a regular infestation of AT4 aimbotters with a lot of the admins using that hack as well. I think I can safely say that "clean" means something very different to most people than it does to DU4 apparently. (I have no connection with CCCP, but I have been much more satisfied that they run a clean & lag-free server and I would reccomend them to anybody.)

Although I agree that a large proportion of BC2 servers are horribly inadequate with regards to bandwidth and hardware, I think it would be extremely destructive to start some kind of pseudo licensing procedure. Survival of the fittest is the simplest and most effective solution to eliminating bad servers. People aren't dumb. They can judge for themselves whether or not a server is any good and if it isn't, that server will soon be empty. Problem solved.
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

himapapa

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 am

@ Bruce Lee
[OT]Well, you don't really expect me to respond on your unfounded accusations and twisting of truth. Let me put it that way: You don't play on DU4 servers. A win-win-situation. :D
[/OT]

Bruce Lee wrote:Although I agree that a large proportion of BC2 servers are horribly inadequate with regards to bandwidth and hardware, I think it would be extremely destructive to start some kind of pseudo licensing procedure. Survival of the fittest is the simplest and most effective solution to eliminating bad servers. People aren't dumb. They can judge for themselves whether or not a server is any good and if it isn't, that server will soon be empty. Problem solved.

The ensuing effort and benefits of some kind of licensing should be carefully weighed against one another, however. The current state (let player decide whether they want to stay or not) is working well imho. So there's no need to implement it atm - or even force hosters to use it (however it would look like).

Bruce Lee

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 am

himapapa wrote:@ Bruce Lee
[OT]Well, you don't really expect me to respond on your unfounded accusations and twisting of truth. Let me put it that way: You don't play on DU4 servers. A win-win-situation. :D
[/OT]

Bruce Lee wrote:Although I agree that a large proportion of BC2 servers are horribly inadequate with regards to bandwidth and hardware, I think it would be extremely destructive to start some kind of pseudo licensing procedure. Survival of the fittest is the simplest and most effective solution to eliminating bad servers. People aren't dumb. They can judge for themselves whether or not a server is any good and if it isn't, that server will soon be empty. Problem solved.

The ensuing effort and benefits of some kind of licensing should be carefully weighed against one another, however. The current state (let player decide whether they want to stay or not) is working well imho. So there's no need to implement it atm - or even force hosters to use it (however it would look like).

1. The choppiness of the DU4 servers has been confirmed many times in console chat by other players.
2. I have spectated lots of aimbotters in other games and watched lots of videos of aimbots in BF games. That together with my knowledge of the physics capabilities of the weapons and vehicles makes me more likely to be correct than not when calling out an aimbotter. However, since Dice has stubbornly refused to include spectator mode in BF games then a cheater demo is impossible of course. (Maybe you could upload an unedited video of the amazing AT4 accuracy of the DU4 admins in game?)
3. Bans of players for no legitimate reason are an ever present fact on DU4 servers. You can pretend it isn't so but the players know otherwise.

These facts are painfully obvious to anybody who has played much on the DU4 servers but I couldn't care less whether or not you want to maintain the status quo. From what I have seen lately, it seems DU4 is empty a lot but maybe that is a symptom of the general drop in player population. However, as I said in my previous post, most people aren't dumb. Keep screwing them over and eventually they will get fed up and go elsewhere. As a wise man once said, "You can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin it once."

As far as the main point of this thread, I agree that some "seal of approval" wouldn't accomplish much anyway. It would require an authoritative figure to administer and I doubt that the nexus would want to deal with the hassle. Especially when all anybody has to do is play a few times on a server and make up their mind for themselves. No muss, no fuss, and 100% accurate.
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

RobbingHood

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am

@Bruce Lee
DU4 has a whole thread about their servers, don't go off-topic here please.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”