WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
TacTicToe
[HUGE FUCKING BUG] False player caps

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 am

I think I have figured out what is causing this, but only NoFate will be able to fix it if I am right.

It seems periodically, that the Master server becomes confused about the total slot allotment for a server is. For example, you can have a 32 slot server, the MS thinks it is only 26 and player #27+ will never be able to connect. I realized this one evening when I saw my server never filled past 24 slots, which was unusual. I checked my HLSW and it showed that 24/32 slots were filled. I left the server, waited for my slot to fill, and when there was 24 on, I tried to connect, and was not able to. I then remotely kicked a random player, freeing up a slot, and boom, was able to get right on. I tried this same experiment other times, when there would be 28 players and no more. In each case, if I kick a player and the slots drop to less then the MS thinks it should have, then I can get on. I would imagine this is the case, even when there are zero players. If you have it set for 32, but the MS sees 0 allowed, then NO ONE is going to get on that server.

I hope this makes sense. Would be nice if other server admins could confirm this. I can only confirm this bug on my own setup. I am quite convinced this is happening. However, it can change from map change to map change. Since the problem is intermittent, it is difficult to track. It could possibly be a ghost process/slot connection tying up a connection, but not showing as so, and confusing the MS.

If you ever watch the banner below for my server, you can see these "capped slot" patterns in the graph.

I have all but begged other admins to confirm this. Either they don't care, are clueless, too lazy to give a shit, or this bug does not exist. I am 99% certain this bug exists. Can we please get it checked out? Acknowledged and confirmed? Or written off as false?

As of this post, this false player cap has my server set at 22 and no one can get on beyond that.

This thread is in response to this post that people seem to just be ignoring.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2267

Thanks.
]Image

zesty

Re: [HUGE FUCKING BUG] False player caps

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 am

That's a real challenge to my English reading skills :D So let's be clear, your problem is if your server's player reaches for around 28, there will be no more players to join your server even you have set that to 32 slots. Is that right?

incanation95

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 am

Yes zesty that's what he is trying to say!
And yes at the user end i also have come across this problem where i cant join a server with 22-24/32 players and sometimes not even an empty server.!

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 pm

I will look into it when I get home today.
Moved to "Suggestions and Feedback".
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

TacTicToe

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks NoFate. I think if you can track this down, it is going to resolve alot of the gripes about not being able to connect to servers.

Currently my server is stuck at 20 slots. Last night it never went past 16 for a while.
]Image

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 pm

In the serverlist does it show the correct number of active/max players?

Freeshnik

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 pm

NoFaTe wrote:In the serverlist does it show the correct number of active/max players?

Yes!

Confirm. Problem starts when 1st or 2nd map changed. Text of error is the same with error when u try to connect at full server.

TacTicToe

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes, server browser still displays 32 slots. So if it is stuck at 24, then you will see there are 24 players on the server, but no more will be able to connect. When I look at my server via my HLSW, it will show 24 of 32 slots. So you can see the slots are there, you just can not use them.
]Image

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm

TacTicToe wrote:Yes, server browser still displays 32 slots. So if it is stuck at 24, then you will see there are 24 players on the server, but no more will be able to connect. When I look at my server via my HLSW, it will show 24 of 32 slots. So you can see the slots are there, you just can not use them.

TacTicToe, check your PMs.

emi-liano

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 am

I also have this problem, but how can i fix it? i don't see any solution here please can you share the solution or some clue on how to fix this?

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”