WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
mizudg
Re: BFBC2 75% off on Steam

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 am

weavii wrote:Strange, dont know why I had in my mind Frostbite was a little studio creating the engine for that game 0.o (besides DICE)
I don't know what has happened exactly, but in gaming industry you shouldn't blame artists for releasing unfinished games or doing f2p c*ap. Artists/coders just don't have that free space to polish a game, once "their" game become a halfhearted sequel publishers are a pain in the neck.
Before bfbc2, it was different, now they are going or already are towards COD. (Bad-sequel-wise)
All this dlc, p2w, unfinished stuff stinks like a publishers work.

It's not as if DICE are forced to work there for all eternity. They are just afraid to leave EA because they will lose the license. But that's not all bad. I mean, Respawn Ent aka ex-IW left Activision and joined EA (not a brighter move but still) so it's possible to make a new franchise and have the time to do it. I doubt DICE will do it since even if their game is not finished, in the end of the day everyone gets paid. I just wish they would go back to the old Battlefields model. Have different studios work on improvements rather than forcing DICE to do both BF4, Battlefront and probably BF5. 1942 and BF2 are still the best in my opinion, closely followed by 2142 which would be higher up that list if people actually played it. It's classics like those that no longer rule today's market sadly with the exception of VALVe's phenomenal improvements over past ideas

(1.6 - > Source - > GO ;
TF was a mod, made it into a full game which is a ton of fun with tons of events ;
L4D was also not an original idea, it was a community based event which got VALVe's attention and they made it into a game + a sequel featuring workshop ;
Dota 2 is not so much a sequel, as much as a free to play Dota successor which nails the formula damn nice and the pay-to-win element is nowhere to be seen as it's only just skins;
Portal was an experiment which people loved and spanned a sequel with Coop and workshop. Certainly can't call it a bad deal for their investment in ideas).

That's the bad thing though, all of VALVe's games usually take time to develop. And them being independent makes it so they can get games out whenever they feel like it instead of on a yearly basis. That is what keeps every VALVe game a classic and engaging to play every time you play it.

weavii

Re: BFBC2 75% off on Steam

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 pm

mizudg wrote:
weavii wrote:Strange, dont know why I had in my mind Frostbite was a little studio creating the engine for that game 0.o (besides DICE)
I don't know what has happened exactly, but in gaming industry you shouldn't blame artists for releasing unfinished games or doing f2p c*ap. Artists/coders just don't have that free space to polish a game, once "their" game become a halfhearted sequel publishers are a pain in the neck.
Before bfbc2, it was different, now they are going or already are towards COD. (Bad-sequel-wise)
All this dlc, p2w, unfinished stuff stinks like a publishers work.

It's not as if DICE are forced to work there for all eternity. They are just afraid to leave EA because they will lose the license. But that's not all bad. I mean, Respawn Ent aka ex-IW left Activision and joined EA (not a brighter move but still) so it's possible to make a new franchise and have the time to do it. I doubt DICE will do it since even if their game is not finished, in the end of the day everyone gets paid. I just wish they would go back to the old Bettlefold model. Have different studios work on improvements rather than forcing DICE to do both BF4, Battlefront and probably BF5. 1942 and BF2 are still the best in my opinion, closely followed by 2142 which would be higher up that list if people actually played it. It's classics like those that no longer rule today's market sadly with the exception of VALVe's phenomenal improvements over past ideas

(1.6 - > Source - > GO ;
TF was a mod, made it into a full game which is a ton of fun with tons of events ;
L4D was also not an original idea, it was a community based event which got VALVe's attention and they made it into a game + a sequel featuring workshop ;
Dota 2 is not so much a sequel, as much as a free to play Dota successor which nails the formula damn nice and the pay-to-win element is nowhere to be seen as it's only just skins;
Portal was an experiment which people loved and spanned a sequel with Coop and workshop. Certainly can't call it a bad deal for their investment in ideas).

That's the bad thing though, all of VALVe's games usually take time to develop. And them being independent makes it so they can get games out whenever they feel like it instead of on a yearly basis. That is what keeps every VALVe game a classic and engaging to play every time you play it.

Even if VALVE lost its "start-up" flair, the business philosophy is pretty unique. They manage to get things done while giving employees the freedom they need. It is not the point that "everyone gets paid in the end". The difference is you are nothing but a little gear wheel in the bigger studios working for the big publishers. Games is not just software that is working or isn't working as intended, imo.

Return to “Game Discussion”