WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
mizudg
Re: EA Shutting Down BF2 Servers

Sat May 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Bruce Lee wrote:Wow Mizu,
Please don't take offense because I realize that there may be some misunderstanding on your part due to english not being your native language, but you might want to read my posts a little more carefully. What I said has nothing to do with GameSpy, rather it has to do with the likely withdrawal of EA server support soon for BFBC2 since they are in the process of discarding old titles.

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

English not being my main language has nothing to do with that. It's just you keep acting all high and did not bother to check the most obvious spot for information on that. Bad Company 2 isn't among the titles that servers are getting shut down for. Besides, I've spoken more English than my native language almost every day for the past 4 years. I don't need lecturing. Again, check your sources. And again, if people are interested in Rome or EN's work in general, they will check it out eventually. And, with Venice's approach sooner or later, there is no need to advertise Rome anyway. At least not for a while, if at all.

Bruce Lee

Sat May 17, 2014 6:59 pm

I think most people that read my initial post will understand the simple point I was making but since it seems to be getting muddied let me try to summarize:
1. EA is in the process of shutting down server support for old titles because those games are no longer profitable to EA.
2. BF2 was on the list of terminated games and it is very likely that BFBC2 will soon follow since the amount of people playing it on the EA servers has already shrunk to an unprofitable level.
3. The termination of support for BF2 on 6-30-2014 will send a shock-wave of fear through the BFBC2 players who depend on the official EA servers and they will be very likely to seek unofficial alternatives if they want to continue playing BC2 in the near future.

Why there seems to be a desire to shun a potentially new influx of players is quite baffling to me since they could be acquired with almost no effort. I would have thought that more players using the nexus client would be a good thing.

As far as my comment on misunderstandings due to a non-native language, I was trying to be generous my friend. There are legitimate misunderstandings all the time due to subtle differences in languages. I actually compliment you on your command of a second language so there is no need to be so combative. Besides, I am certain you speak english much better than I speak your native language, which is not at all, lol.
Last edited by Bruce Lee on Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

zesty

Sat May 17, 2014 7:11 pm

IIRC only the PC version of BFBC2 uses Gamespy.

Also, http://revivebf2.com/

edit: nvm I read something wrong
Last edited by zesty on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Lee

Sat May 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Zesty,
Your avatar is great by the way. Anyway, the information I've read said that initially EA stated they were investigating an alternative to GameSpy but later changed their mind and decided it wasn't financially feasible. The most recent statement from EA made clear that all support for BF2 would end including servers of course. As far as the BF2:ModernCombat xbox servers, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there aren't any online anymore but since I never owned a console I would have to look it up to be certain.
I am aware that the BF2:ProjectReality & BF2:ForgottenHope mods have already set up a new master server so at least those players will be able to continue playing for certain when the EA servers shut down.
"The world is like a big circus and the crooked businessmen and their puppet politicians are the biggest clowns in the show." -Anon.

WarBeast-GT-

Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 pm

There are many possibilities to still play the older games after the shutdown, emulated master servers, modified clients and the simplest one: A huge VPN network where the players play in a big "LAN enviroment" with the built in LAN function. As I said before, there are enough workarounds for the games, you shouldn't give a shit about "EA".

Bruce Lee

Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Actually the main point I was making was not concern over the fate of BF2, rather it was the effect the official servers shutdown would create in steering BC2 players to the nexus client, lol.

Kerrigan

Mon May 19, 2014 7:07 am

zesty wrote:IIRC only the PC version of BFBC2 uses Gamespy.

How does it use GameSpy when the serverlist is queried from Plasma/Theater ?

Also the account management of BFBC2 is managed by Plasma itself. I don't see any part where GameSpy could be involved.

Bruce Lee

Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 am

I just assumed zesty meant to type BF2 from the context. Probably my fault for mentioning both BF2 & BC2 so often together in my posts, lol.

jedi18

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 am

battlefield bad company 2 is not affected?\
WTF
"It is not our abilities that make us who we really are, it is our choices"

mizudg

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:55 am

Bad Company 2 doesn't use GameSpy, why would it be affected?

Return to “General Discussion”