WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Re: Hosting

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 am

WarBeast-GT- wrote:I've hosted a full server instance for a short amount of time at that russian project (don't blame me for that :( ) and I can say that the servers have even lower requirements than the BC2 servers. I only have a 5 Mbit/s upload (100 Mbit/s download though) and there were no lags at all with 64 players. The CPU of my server is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 -> even with a little bit outdated and slow CPU.

The server only requires a single core, since it is running on a single thread (except for some of our custom logic code).
As for the bandwidth, like I said, we'll be monitoring usage throughout the Closed Beta to better determine requirements.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

WarBeast-GT-

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:25 am

NoFaTe wrote:The server only requires a single core, since it is running on a single thread (except for some of our custom logic code).
As for the bandwidth, like I said, we'll be monitoring usage throughout the Closed Beta to better determine requirements.

That let me come to another question: Can we run the server with more than one thread? For server CPUs without high single core speed.

capitansolo

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:14 am

NoFaTe wrote:The recommended requirements should be the following (for a 64-player instance):
  • Windows Vista or newer, Windows Server 2008 R2 or newer
  • 1 (one) dedicated physical core at 2.8GHz or higher
  • 4GB of RAM or more
  • 100mbit incoming/outgoing bandwidth or more

I heard about servers for 128 players...Is that possible?
which requirements for that amount of players? i know, i cant handle this because my inet is crappy with only 800kbps upload , but i have curiosity how to make a 128 payers servers.

And telling about this huge 128 server...anyone thinking about making this server? it have to be total war.

XuluniX

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:35 pm

WarBeast-GT- wrote:
NoFaTe wrote:The server only requires a single core, since it is running on a single thread (except for some of our custom logic code).

That let me come to another question: Can we run the server with more than one thread? For server CPUs without high single core speed.

No, i don't think this is possible because it would need massive changes on the server.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:14 pm

WarBeast-GT- wrote:That let me come to another question: Can we run the server with more than one thread? For server CPUs without high single core speed.

No, that's how the frostbite engine is designed and there's not much we can do about it.

capitansolo wrote:I heard about servers for 128 players...Is that possible?
which requirements for that amount of players? i know, i cant handle this because my inet is crappy with only 800kbps upload , but i have curiosity how to make a 128 payers servers.

And telling about this huge 128 server...anyone thinking about making this server? it have to be total war.

We have already lifted the player limits from the server, however we are not sure if it would actually work properly.
We will be testing that theory during the closed beta.

AlexEe

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:09 pm

NoFaTe wrote:We have already lifted the player limits from the server, however we are not sure if it would actually work properly.
We will be testing that theory during the closed beta.

It worked quite well in the official bf3 beta
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:48 pm

AlexEe wrote:It worked quite well in the official bf3 beta

I'm well aware, I was one of the first people to figure out how to change it.
However, lots of things have changed since then, and the engine handles many things differently nowadays.

AlexEe

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:00 pm

NoFaTe wrote:However, lots of things have changed since then, and the engine handles many things differently nowadays.

You think it will be possible to run servers with 128+ well?
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

mouz

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 pm

There are enough squads to put 4x32 players in a team, but is that pushing it too far? A quarter of a thousand players on one server?

A problem that always comes up is the game engine assigning that many players to a team, and clients handling them.

A map could always be expanded for an awesome experience

Freeshnik

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:54 am

MAGIC wrote:Damn that would be a clusterfuck then. When it's really working then I would handle that via those serverkey thingy

128 players ask for more client PC power for sure.

Return to “General Discussion”