WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Re: Hosting

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 pm

WarBeast-GT- wrote:Wait, does that mean we need to install Origami on the dedicated server too? Because when you move the client you doesn't move the license file with it.

Edit: License files are stored at X:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License and are generated unique for each PC, am I right? So you can't just copy them to another PC?

For now, yes, you have to use Origin to download and install Battlefield 3.
We will be providing a custom tool, powered by Outcome, to allow you to download and install the server without having to install Origin.

Kerrigan wrote:That brings me to another question:

If i would like to host a server locally i could use one client on my machine to host a server and another client on my machine to join it. My machine would become dedicated server and client at the same time.

Another possibility would be to host the server on a dedicated machine within the network. Simple.

But: Can a client host a game and join it at the same time ? Like in CS, where you are able to host a game (being the host) and play at the same time ?

Also, is that backendless connection still on the roadmap ?

You are able to host a server and join it from the same computer.
However, the client cannot yet function in listen-server mode (host and join itself).

This is a planned feature for allowing backend-less LAN support in the future.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Sammuel

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:58 am

NoFaTe wrote:You will be able to have more than one clients running with the same license, since we do not directly associate it with your account for security reasons.

Wait so when you ban someone with a future anti-cheat will it just use GUID/ect? and not ban the players license?

Also in that case someone could just upload there license file and people could play without purchasing?
Check out my latest project! http://popcorntime.io

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:15 am

Sammuel wrote:
NoFaTe wrote:You will be able to have more than one clients running with the same license, since we do not directly associate it with your account for security reasons.

Wait so when you ban someone with a future anti-cheat will it just use GUID/ect? and not ban the players license?

Also in that case someone could just upload there license file and people could play without purchasing?

For obvious reasons I'm not at liberty to discuss how the anti-cheat will work.
And no, you're not able to just 'share' your license, as each license is unique, generated for a specific machine, and therefore only works for that machine.

Sammuel

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 am

NoFaTe wrote:
Sammuel wrote:

For obvious reasons I'm not at liberty to discuss how the anti-cheat will work.
And no, you're not able to just 'share' your license, as each license is unique, generated for a specific machine, and therefore only works for that machine.

ah thats good.

And regarding the anti-cheat totally understand :P
Check out my latest project! http://popcorntime.io

MAGIC

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:54 pm

NoFaTe wrote:We will be providing a custom tool, powered by Outcome, to allow you to download and install the server without having to install Origami.

So I guess it's some standalone program which we don't have to install right?
Also I uploaded my gamefiles to my server, do I install Origin/use the 'custom tool' in order to get the license again?

Manchoo

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:13 pm

These are the minimum server specs provided by EQ/DYCE.

Minimum: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2; 64-bit edition

preferred CPU: 2.2Ghz or higher clock frequency;
1.5 physical CPUs per 64-player server instance
RAM: 1Gb per server instance + 1Gb additional for the OS
Bandwidth: 128Kbps/player downstream, 64Kbps/player upstream

I found it on a forum, i don't know if it's the real specs

Paulofonta

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:49 am

I highly doubt that a server will consume as much RAM.

EDIT: found the post: viewtopic.php?p=35466#p35466

AlexEe

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:29 am

Paulofonta wrote:I highly doubt that a server will consume as much RAM.

EDIT: found the post: viewtopic.php?p=35466#p35466

Is that with 0 players, or what?
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 am

The recommended requirements should be the following (for a 64-player instance):
  • Windows Vista or newer, Windows Server 2008 R2 or newer
  • 1 (one) dedicated physical core at 2.8GHz or higher
  • 4GB of RAM or more
  • 100mbit incoming/outgoing bandwidth or more

We will be monitoring our servers during the Closed Beta in order to be able to provide the minimum and recommended requirements with more precision.

WarBeast-GT-

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:42 am

NoFaTe wrote:The recommended requirements should be the following (for a 64-player instance):
  • Windows Vista or newer, Windows Server 2008 R2 or newer
  • 1 (one) dedicated physical core at 2.8GHz or higher
  • 4GB of RAM or more
  • 100mbit incoming/outgoing bandwidth or more

We will be monitoring our servers during the Closed Beta in order to be able to provide the minimum and recommended requirements with more precision.

I've hosted a full server instance for a short amount of time at that russian project (don't blame me for that :( ) and I can say that the servers have even lower requirements than the BC2 servers. I only have a 5 Mbit/s upload (100 Mbit/s download though) and there were no lags at all with 64 players. The CPU of my server is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 -> even with a little bit outdated and slow CPU.

Return to “General Discussion”