WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Damage Report

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 pm

So as some of you (who were around on IRC at the time to see me rage) might know, one of my main HDDs (also the newest, with less than 6k Power on Hours) died a few weeks ago.

In that drive I stored most of my projects, research, resources, documents, and all other kinds of important data, and unfortunately almost nothing was backed up to a different location since I wasn't expecting my newest drive to die so soon.

Now, what does that mean for Venice Unleashed?

Thankfully, all the core code for the Venice Unleashed client and the backend services was versioned on a highly secured remote environment, meaning that the losses aren't that great.
There were however a few things that did get lost along the way, so I'll try to provide a small list of what those are:

• Designs and implementation of the custom Venice Unleashed interface (WebUI files)
  • Designs of the new Venice Unleashed website and forums
  • Experimental WebUI code to allow rendering of hardware accelerated content
  • Various custom scripts and tools for the custom backend services library
  • Research related to BF3 resources and entities
  • Several modified library dependencies

Now, even though the damage isn't that great, it still takes us back a few steps.

Finally, for the past weeks, I've been trying to recover my files from the dead HDD, without much success, and unfortunately Data Recovery companies charge ridiculous amounts of money for recovery of such drives.

There's really not much I (or you) can do at this point, but I thought it'd be nice to let you know.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Blackend00o

Re: Damage Report

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 pm

:( it feels sad to hear that you have lost you'r hdd,well every thing happens for a reason,never give up never surrender ;)
i can wait for the rise of VU time is not a problem,you did a great work all of the team did we can't ask much more then that

zesty

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Seagate's HDD sucks :/
I wish I can give out some hardware suggestions earlier for the HDD. Also if that HDD isn't out of maintenance guarantee period, you should let Seagate pay for that file recovery fee, I don't know if this would work in EU countries but it would work in China.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 pm

zesty wrote:Seagate's HDD sucks :/
I wish I can give out some hardware suggestions earlier for the HDD. Also if that HDD isn't out of maintenance guarantee period, you should let Seagate pay for that file recovery fee, I don't know if this would work in EU countries but it would work in China.

The drive is still under warranty but Seagate has a "we don't give two shit about your files" policy.
They simply replace your drive and if you want you can pay extra for recovery.

death_stalker_ak47

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Thank God that you have made some backup and you haven't lost all your work.

Regarding about HDD, I have a 1Tb HDD an a 160Gb, both are Samsung, 1 year old maybe more and in this time period I haven't got any problems.
WARNING

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:23 pm

The drive that died was a Seagate ST3000DM001 (3TB 7200.14 F3 Arch), bought 1y and 1m ago (approximately).
This is my second Seagate drive that dies. The first one was 4y ago and it was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB.

I now bought a new Hitachi Deskstar drive, and it seems like Hitachi has the lowest percentage of failure rates (<1% as opposed to the 18% Seagate has).

blueman24

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 pm

When i read the first line, i was like :o :shock: :o
Then i saw that venice code is good but back up the venice code ASAP.
No problem NoFaTe. Let it take time but make it like, like the gaming industry (EA included) should sit and take notice *bf3 gets revived*
And yeah, don't get segate next time. WD will be better. I personally have hitachi and its doing great.
Wish you all the best for your further work :D

RobbingHood

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:52 pm

NoFaTe wrote:as opposed to the 18% Seagate has).

Yup, can confirm that. A friend of mine and I both had a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB/1.5TB respectively, both of them had to be replaced due to bad sectors.
And knowing that yours completely died, I won't ever buy nor recommend a Seagate again.

WarBeast-GT-

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Uhh, then I'm a really lucky guy with my Seagate... no problems till now, but after I read this I should buy another HDD just in case.

Paulofonta

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 am

I had a 500 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drive and it got the famous "BSY state" bug.
Seagate wanted to charge me a ridiculous ammount of money to recover my data. After some google search, I found a way to reset the disk's board smart cache and recover the hard drive.
After that, I decided to buy 3 hard drives. One for the system, and 2 mirrored drives for storage. Nowadays, my storage is done on a Raid1 NAS.

Return to “General Discussion”