WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
MAGIC
Re: How Does VU Banning Work?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 pm

XuluniX wrote:AFAIK aCI bans were based on your Hardware (MAC-Address)

Well some Hardware IDs + hashed

Sammuel

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 am

MAGIC wrote:
XuluniX wrote:AFAIK aCI bans were based on your Hardware (MAC-Address)

Well some Hardware IDs + hashed

So... Just swap you network card & unbanned? that seems too easy ._.

Furthermore, I agree with Kerrigan in the fact that perhaps we should not go to Valve style banning as it really only promotes unban methods to be created & then re-created (if your banned forever -- why not give it a shot right?), however if I were banned for 3-4 days i would just wait it out rather than attempt a unban that might just f*&k me up further & then if my IQ were high enough not cheat again. :idea:

Another way of looking at is if you had a pet and it did something wrong (shit the floor) would you get rid of it or attempt to train it?
Check out my latest project! http://popcorntime.io

MAGIC

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Sammuel wrote:So... Just swap you network card & unbanned? that seems too easy ._.

No? NTA used some other hardware IDs which you won't change every month :D (i.e. CPU)

Imposter

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:10 am

MAGIC wrote:
Sammuel wrote:So... Just swap you network card & unbanned? that seems too easy ._.

No? NTA used some other hardware IDs which you won't change every month :D (i.e. CPU)

No, CPU serial IDs are not used, and never will be, due to the fact that the way of accessing them is different per brand/model. I believe that the HDD/Network card serial was used in aCI. For Multi Theft Auto, I believe the serial is the HDD serial.

Thanks,
Imposter

MAGIC

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:59 am

That was just an example, mate

Paulofonta

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 am

I never really believed that permanent bans are a solution (wich takes a bit of importance to the client detection method).
Bans are always "eventually" bypassable. So, better than thinking about ban length, the really important thing is to be able to kick a cheater from the game ASAP.
It's much better to have a fast detection system that kicks the cheater from the server right away and issues a few days ban that to let him keep playing until he leaves the game, to issue him a permanent ban wich he will eventually start bypassing.
A fast detection->kick system means that he won't really be able to play, even if he bypasses the ban.

Or... you can ban their their computers and their homes. You report a cheater to the government and the government raises the cheater's taxes until he eventually loses his computer and his home, unless he has a shotgun at home (works in Portugal).

Menno.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 am

Paulofonta wrote:I never really believed that permanent bans are a solution (wich takes a bit of importance to the client detection method).
Bans are always "eventually" bypassable. So, better than thinking about ban length, the really important thing is to be able to kick a cheater from the game ASAP.
It's much better to have a fast detection system that kicks the cheater from the server right away and issues a few days ban that to let him keep playing until he leaves the game, to issue him a permanent ban wich he will eventually start bypassing.
A fast detection->kick system means that he won't really be able to play, even if he bypasses the ban.

Or... you can ban their their computers and their homes. You report a cheater to the government and the government raises the cheater's taxes until he eventually loses his computer and his home, unless he has a shotgun at home (works in Portugal).

Kek at that last part.

Seriously though, in my opinion permanent bans aren't the solution right away. I'd go for a system where you get a 5 day ban for the first offence (for example), then a 30 day ban for the second and a permanent ban for the third.
Most people will just stop using cheats after the first or second ban, but there should be a permanent ban for the really stubborn people.

MAGIC

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 am

Paulofonta wrote:Or... you can ban their their computers and their homes. You report a cheater to the government and the government raises the cheater's taxes until he eventually loses his computer and his home, unless he has a shotgun at home (works in Portugal).

Had an idea with dekart811 once.... But yeah, this would be offtopic now

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 pm

Back in the aIW days we wanted to make a kernel-level anticheat (driver), that would burn your computer if you cheated.
Needless to say that we did not at the long run :P

Now, concerning cheating in VU, there's not much I can say right now.
Our first priority is to develop a good anti-cheat system, and after it's ready we will decide about how bans will be issued.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Kerrigan

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm

NoFaTe wrote:Back in the aIW days we wanted to make a kernel-level anticheat (driver), that would burn your computer if you cheated.

Haha. I thought about viruses doing that to a system.

Causing massive hardware damage in the entire world. LOL

Return to “General Discussion”