WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
TheRealTukz
Re: How Does VU Banning Work?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Hardware bans could be broken easily using virtual machines.
Just a hint.

Paulofonta

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 pm

TheRealTukz wrote:Hardware bans could be broken easily using virtual machines.
Just a hint.

Not exactly.
First of all, I've never seen a virtualization environment in wich you can connect to the VM's desktop without any kind of slight delay.
Second, the virtual NIC's MAC address and the VHD's ID are randomly generated. But everything else comes from the host itself.
Even if all that wasn't enough, I think it's fair that a cheater would have to install a new VM each time it gets caught cheating.

Resin_Smoker

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:01 am

I'd suggest using a combination of HWID and License banning. (Double-tap) The reason I'm suggesting this is that most of the BF3 hackers I've observed have multiple Licensed accounts to circumvent traditional anti-hack detection. (And history profiling)

With what I have in mind, both the HWID and License data would have to match before allowing a player to join a game. Further-more when a player is banned and attempts to spoof the HWID, the License ban should still come into effect and block them out. The same would be true if a banned player attempts to utilize a new License key as the HWID's wouldn't match up for the new License key. Even on the off chance that the same HWID's were applied to multiple Licenses, the ban would still take effect as the account ban would be applied to the HWID's as well. This would effectively lock a player out permanently. The only way past such a ban would be to start a new account, License and get another system with unique HWID's. Such efforts would be so costly and painful that hacking would be all but unheard of for this community.

Note (1): Should a player decide at some point to upgrade their hardware, a method should also be included to allow the HWID's to be manually updated. That's assuming that they've not previously been banned.

Note (2): Such a system would make it extremely difficult for someone to hack and take over another players account.

Note (3): Could use a player's MAC address from their router as well, making this system into a triple-tap. This could be very effective as someone attempting to spoof their ISP's assigned MAC address could very easily find themselves without an Internet connection.

Cheers,

Resin

kiwidog

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:51 am

It works like this

And I got smack, smack, smack on fools.
kiwidog > NoFaTe.

Resin_Smoker

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Well that's cute but utterly pointless...Please try to contribute to the conversation rather then just spamming your pic's in what was otherwise a productive conversation.

Cheers,

Resin

RobbingHood

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Resin_Smoker wrote:With what I have in mind, both the HWID and License data would have to match before allowing a player to join a game.

So I can't play on two different machines? Yeah no.

I-treed-I

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

I guess the H/W banning is a really good way, I think the best would be if there was a list of used systems and accounts for every player, so you ban a name and automatically every ip(Ip obviously not around midnight for ISPs with switching ips so noone gets banned by accident), Hardware Id, Origin account and the network enviroment will be logged(little kiddie: I'm Sorry dad, but I have to plug out your pc because it is banned as a network device for vu). If any of those enviroments get into contact with another account the lists will be merged, so if you just switch account and say PC and origin license the new account including all new hardware will be registered for the old, banned account because the IP is the same(which is a really pain when using a cable company because it's extremely hard to change your IP). By using this number of different (for the user unknown) values you can't get unbanned using trial and error because even if you only test your new HDD in the old computer and then completely switch to an entire new setup the new setup will be instantly registered as banned. This way also quickly playing at a friends computer won't work because the risk of getting banned is too high for the friend. Adding a delay here would make it even harder to try things out because if you only get banned after 15 minutes with a new setup you can't be entirely sure which part caused the ban.
When obviously trying to get around this system by using spoofing software or something like that you get an increased ban time to make that kind of way as unattractive as possible.
Ban times should in my opinion be kept short so people are really interested in rejoining rather than getting around the ban. Really waiting a week after every day of hacking is more annoying than playing legit. To get back in however you don't just wait for an automated process but have to write an application which will be processed by the community (up and downvotes). Really annoying hackers without hope for improvement will get unbanned by time, but as long as the application doesn't get accepted they still can't play.
Detecting hacks in the first place is more of a problem IMO. Things like the AN Makro are a problem that has to be fixed in the game and normal multihacks can get detected with a good anti cheat system, the biggest problem here is to keep the hackdefinitionfiles updated, however e.g. no recoil macros pose more of a problem. The best way would be to build a well working report system, maybe skill based (I know that value doesn't tell much, but it's better than nothing) so just people with higher skill than the reported guy can report someone. For a report a video should be included so others can confirm the hack or question it. A good thing for undetected wallhacks would also be that players can request screenshots from others similar to the pbscreens, maybe you could even record lowres video.

Just a few thoughts on the topic,

Greetings, treed

Return to “General Discussion”