WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
MadbaLL
Project Rome - development still active or discontinued?

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:59 am

it's not hard not to notice that majority of attention is now on VU project, so i was wondering what's happening with Poject Rome in terms of further development and improvement by NoFate and the crew?

Is it discontinued, done for good? Or there are still some plans and schedule for Rome development and inhancement? Latest build/client (914) was released a long time ago and since then i didn't notice any updates related to this project.

So, the bottom line, what's happening and what are the future plans with Project Rome? :)

Thanks.

henry1995

Re: Project Rome - development still active or discontinued?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:58 am

It's currently inactive not discontinued . They may provide frequent updates if they got proper financial support .
“The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”
—Albert Einstein

mizudg

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:49 am

henry1995 wrote:....They may provide frequent updates if they got proper financial support .

That isn't true though. The developers never asked for donations or said that it's money they're lacking to continue supporting Rome. The main focus is Venice Unleashed because with the mod tools for it, this will be the definitive Battlefield experience one day, whereas BC2 still has mods, but they're quite simplistic and limited to a certain degree. If you've seen even half the stuff in the Closed Beta (or Open Beta Weekend) when they were testing, you'd immediately notice the difference and limitations of BC2.

RobbingHood

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:29 am

As Mizu stated, this isn't due to financial limitations.
The limiting factor is the spare time the devlopers can find ;)

MadbaLL

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:08 pm

well, in any case, i hope this is not the last we've seen from Project Rome.

i have bf3 for a long time, but it can't match bc2 in terms of gameplay... i and know many hardcore bf frahchise fans think the same way... in that regards, i hope NoFate will continue develpoment of Project Rome.

Death_Magnet

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:54 pm

MadbaLL wrote:i have bf3 for a long time, but it can't match bc2 in terms of gameplay... i and know many hardcore bf frahchise fans think the same way...

So damn true!!!! For many players (myself included), Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the pinnacle of the Battlefield franchise and for what matters, of any FPS multiplayer game.
Despite some minor flaws - namely some hit registration issues (which are present on other games too), BC2 has an unsurpassed atmosphere and gameplay.
A truly iconic game! Whether you’re on foot, inside a tank, boat or heli, the game is just what it is – FREAKIN’ AWESOME. When you’re inside a MBT, it really feels like a Heavy Tank… The awesome Vietnam addon, the map design, the Destruction 2.0 system, the physics/ballistics, the overall perfect balance, the limited but iconic weapons selection system, the ingame comments, graphics, sound, characters – who doesn’t like the "friendly" Russian Medic face :) , etc, etc, etc…
BC2 is a masterpiece that lies light-years ahead of BF3 or BF4 – not to mention Hardline. The closest thing? BF1942 and then BF2.
A game that surpasses the legendary BC2, is still yet to come – maybe, just maybe BC3. But BC3 won’t see the light of day anytime soon…

On DICE’s boss Karl-Magnus Troedsson own words:

“… it’s a problem when you want to go and make a sequel, as the last thing you want to do is ruin a franchise and leave swathes of fans disappointed.”

“It's scary to go back and try to remake an old fan favourite when actually no-one can really put their finger on what it is people love.”

“But some people say this: the Bad Company 2 multiplayer is the best you've ever done. Okay, why is that? It's hard for people to articulate what that is, which is actually hard for us. It would be hard to remake something like that.”

“There's one thing that lingers with Bad Company 2 that we've been asking ourselves: what is it that the people really liked about Bad Company 2?”

In IGN - 24 Jun 2014

Hey, Mr. Troedsson! Wake up! The answer is... EVERYTHING!!!!

ChuckN

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Death_Magnet wrote:
MadbaLL wrote:i have bf3 for a long time, but it can't match bc2 in terms of gameplay... i and know many hardcore bf frahchise fans think the same way...

So damn true!!!! For many players (myself included), Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the pinnacle of the Battlefield franchise and for what matters, of any FPS multiplayer game.
Despite some minor flaws - namely some hit registration issues (which are present on other games too), BC2 has an unsurpassed atmosphere and gameplay.
A truly iconic game! Whether you’re on foot, inside a tank, boat or heli, the game is just what it is – FREAKIN’ AWESOME. When you’re inside a MBT, it really feels like a Heavy Tank… The awesome Vietnam addon, the map design, the Destruction 2.0 system, the physics/ballistics, the overall perfect balance, the limited but iconic weapons selection system, the ingame comments, graphics, sound, characters – who doesn’t like the "friendly" Russian Medic face :) , etc, etc, etc…
BC2 is a masterpiece that lies light-years ahead of BF3 or BF4 – not to mention Hardline. The closest thing? BF1942 and then BF2.
A game that surpasses the legendary BC2, is still yet to come – maybe, just maybe BC3. But BC3 won’t see the light of day anytime soon…

On DICE’s boss Karl-Magnus Troedsson own words:

“… it’s a problem when you want to go and make a sequel, as the last thing you want to do is ruin a franchise and leave swathes of fans disappointed.”

“It's scary to go back and try to remake an old fan favourite when actually no-one can really put their finger on what it is people love.”

“But some people say this: the Bad Company 2 multiplayer is the best you've ever done. Okay, why is that? It's hard for people to articulate what that is, which is actually hard for us. It would be hard to remake something like that.”

“There's one thing that lingers with Bad Company 2 that we've been asking ourselves: what is it that the people really liked about Bad Company 2?”

In IGN - 24 Jun 2014

Hey, Mr. Troedsson! Wake up! The answer is... EVERYTHING!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. Despite some serious flaws, BC2 is definitely the best game in the BF series so far.
Of course the reason players love it so much is simply because it is the most fun to play (i.e. infantry + vehicles + destruction + teamwork).
The problem is that there is no way to fit large vehicle maps + destruction into the CoD-clone mold that DICE is absolutely determined to follow now.
Consequently, I am pretty pessimistic that they will ever do anything except continue to churn out BF3 retreads with new numbers (i.e. BF4, BF5, BF6,...ad infinitum).

I also agree that BC2 could easily have a lot more potential life if modders can figure out how to produce new maps.
Like most players who prefer conquest + vehicles, I really only have the option to play Atacama or Heavy Metal.
Needless to say, only having two maps gets boring pretty fast.

TacTicToe

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:20 pm

While I agree limited maps gets boring, there are those that do enjoy it. About a decade ago we used to run a stock map rotation for Enemy Territory. Same 6 maps over and over and with 64 players, server was always full with people waiting in line to join. Our BO Nuke server, always full and always in the top 5 in rank.

So while I agree it can get boring, if it what you like to play, you suck it up and play it.

On a side note and not trying to derail the topic, has anyone wondered if VU is influencing Dice and the BF4 series? I understand they are trying 60hz servers now? Sounds familiar. :)
]Image

ChuckN

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:56 pm

TacTicToe wrote:While I agree limited maps gets boring, there are those that do enjoy it. About a decade ago we used to run a stock map rotation for Enemy Territory. Same 6 maps over and over and with 64 players

6x64player maps =/= 2x32player maps.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Surely even you can see the obvious problem with your false analogy.
If we had 6x64player decent conquest maps in BC2 instead of only 2x32 then I don't think anybody would get bored.
I think it would be more productive to concentrate on trying to make that a reality instead of just being snarky.

TacTicToe wrote:So while I agree it can get boring, if it what you like to play, you suck it up and play it.

I have been playing this game since 2010 despite the sadly limited number of maps so you can get off your soapbox. ;)

TacTicToe wrote:On a side note and not trying to derail the topic, has anyone wondered if VU is influencing Dice and the BF4 series? I understand they are trying 60hz servers now? Sounds familiar. :)

I always find it hilarious when people say they aren't trying to derail the topic and then they obviously try to derail the topic, lol.
Stick to the topic of Rome or go to the VU section please.

Getting back on the topic of Rome, I have been very encouraged by Nasipal's work on map mods and by powback's work on a possible map editor.
Maybe with people like that in the community we actually can hope to get some new awesome maps. :D

mizudg

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I do believe that the main topic question has been answered so to go on about preferences and personal opinions should be considered for the Game Discussions.

Return to “General Discussion”