WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
mizudg
Re: Let's have a "Community Game time"

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 pm

blueman24 wrote:The poll seems to be messed up. Can you explain, how is it updated? Why there are dashes in between a few poll options?

The dashes are there because I can't put spacers between the choices. In other words, just see which time(s) fit you and select them. The idea of separating the choices came to me since they were all bunched up and pretty much couldn't be distinguished at first. Now they're separated by hourly, 2 or 4 hours and all day

mouz

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I must say this vote is now horrifically bad. Why would we even vote on the duration of the event? If we voted to start at 4 PM it should be like it, some players might only play 1 hour, others may play 3 hours. It doesn't make sense to vote on it's duration. I'm okay with revoting for time as some might benefit if it starts earlier or later. Now you have people voting whether they want 1 or 2 hours, instead of picking a better time to start that suits us all better.

mizudg

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

mouz wrote:I must say this vote is now horrifically bad. Why would we even vote on the duration of the event? If we voted to start at 4 PM it should be like it, some players might only play 1 hour, others may play 3 hours. It doesn't make sense to vote on it's duration. I'm okay with revoting for time as some might benefit if it starts earlier or later. Now you have people voting whether they want 1 or 2 hours, instead of picking a better time to start that suits us all better.

Point taken.. though with no specific time, I don't see how many are going to join judging by the lack of "hype" or overall any information on whether or not they'd be participating.

mouz

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Indeed, but last thing you want is like 2 players voting for 4-6 pm and 2 for 4-5 pm and three for like 1-4 pm, so what does that vote conclude? Absolutely nothing. We don't need 30 players to have fun. More isn't always better.

himapapa

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:00 am

This idea of a community game sounds like a really good idea for me. Maybe it would work in the future that this could be the beginning of some kind of competitive gameplay. Just an idea, dont hit me to hard for that. :D

Furthermore we could also provide server(s) for community events. We also have TS3 server to make gameplay even more comfortable.

Dont know us yet? http://www.du4-gaming.de/

mizudg

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:43 am

Glad I gave the idea, then. I would love to see an "Event" section on these forums in the future but that would only happen if this event and possibly future ones are successful so the moderators agree on the idea. If not, then I guess the hosting parties (for example RepZ) can do it on their forums, but in general, it'd be easier to find people to play with here since these are Nexus' forums, the servers on which the game is played.

himapapa

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Yes, the idea is really good. I would prefer to announce the events right here, it will have the best range to reach players.

As I set up a couple of events on EA server in the past, let me share my experiences with you:

1. No democracy
Discussions at the beginning of an event are deadly. They take ages. Players will be bored and it is hard to keep them on the server.

2. Preparation is all
Maps and modes should be be clear before the event starts (see above). If server should be password-protected, to prevent unwanted players, password should be simple. Error rate is high!

3. Rules
Rules should be made and being published (e.g. on this forum). If you tell the rules to the players at the beginning, you have to repeat it again and again while other players are joining afterwards.

4. Fun/Score
BC2/Rome is most for the fun of it, but still few players want to compete with other players. In that case a kind of scoreboard should be prepared that can be filled with every round ending.

These aspects above are mistakes I made and the lessons I learned. There are several other things, but that depends on game modes. For example we made C4-Events, buggy racing etc. which need special treatment

mizudg

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm

This event will not have anything in particular. It will be just a gathering to see how successful an event really be and maybe, just maaaaybe, have some mods on it other than the plugins and such. If these events are successful, future ones with rules and such can become more frequent and help organized teams or in general, people who like playing with a solid team that is communicating, such as myself, can experience better gameplay. I personally would like to play a 'Nam game once in a while but sadly, those servers aren't as popular as the base game.

mouz

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Community server is up, if you guys want mods on it make sure to download http://badbaubau.cactuspie.eu/client_Co ... k_BETA.rar we will see will they be played on saturday depending on what percentage of players have it.

So will we use the EN mumble server?

mizudg

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:56 pm

mouz wrote:Community server is up, if you guys want mods on it make sure to download http://badbaubau.cactuspie.eu/client_Co ... k_BETA.rar we will see will they be played on saturday depending on what percentage of players have it.

So will we use the EN mumble server?

Mumble server is always up and if you want a TeamSpeak, that can be provided by me and one of my friends who owns it. Depending on the people, we will choose which one to use, however, I am not sure how will we decide it. For now, I will put up the poll again but with a question regarding the Communication, rather than game time.

Return to “General Discussion”