WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
Zelmarked
[Suggestion]Lower the player camera to disallow head-peak

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Head peak is when your vision is above that of your characters eyes. What this allows is for you to see/shoot at the enemy but they only see the top of your dome, at best your eyebrows. One example is the paperstacks, the wooden pallet withe the fliers. You can line yourself up to have only your dome sticking up but the bullets come from seemingly the inside the paper stacks from the victims perspective.

Steven00120

Re: [Suggestion]Lower the player camera to disallow head-peak

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Maybe its possible to lower the actual bullet origin like they did with bf4.

BattleNonSense

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Zelmarked wrote:Head peak is when your vision is above that of your characters eyes. What this allows is for you to see/shoot at the enemy but they only see the top of your dome, at best your eyebrows. One example is the paperstacks, the wooden pallet withe the fliers. You can line yourself up to have only your dome sticking up but the bullets come from seemingly the inside the paper stacks from the victims perspective.

Lowering the camera is a very bad idea. You will think that you are save behind a piece of cover because it blocks your view entirely,, but the other players can see half of your head because your view is much lower.

It will also give you the impression that all other players are taller than you are.

I know it sounds like a simple solution to just lower the camera, but it's not.
Last edited by BattleNonSense on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney
Contact: Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL Facebook Skype Twitter YouTube

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:50 pm

I have no idea how DICE did it, but fixing headglitching does not sound like an easy task. Sure you could lower the camera (which would cause the problems BattleNonSense described) or lower the spawning position of the shots to be where your gun is (which would fuck up hip shooting since the bullets won't hit the middle of the crosshair anymore) but a real solution that doesn't have either issues possibly requires much more work.
There used to be a signature here.

BattleNonSense

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Rodney wrote:I have no idea how DICE did it

I've explained it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXjHf6urXo

Rodney

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:38 pm

If your explanation is correct (I just assume it is) then it seems easy enough to replicate the way DICE has tackled the issue.

With reasonable effort I could write a little program that calculates the changes and generate code for VeniceExt to change the bullet spawning position and initial direction for each gun based on its type and other values. I might look into that in the coming days.

faddn

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Rodney wrote:If your explanation is correct (I just assume it is) then it seems easy enough to replicate the way DICE has tackled the issue.

With reasonable effort I could write a little program that calculates the changes and generate code for VeniceExt to change the bullet spawning position and initial direction for each gun based on its type and other values. I might look into that in the coming days.

Yes, it is correct! DICE uses his videos from time to time in patch notes and such :)

Rodney

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:06 pm

I looked at BF4's files and confirmed that they are indeed doing it in a way I suspected.

Looking at the AEK in BF4 it seems that it's zeroed at 75 m with the bullet crossing the line of sight at about 38 and 75m which happens at .065 and .1293 seconds of flight respectively.

Time/Height graph:
Distance/Height graph:

Applying the same logic to BF3 seems fairly straightforward.

AnastasiyaAngel

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:04 pm

BattleNonSense wrote:Lowering the camera is a very bad idea. You will think that you are save behind a piece of cover because it blocks your view entirely,, but the other players can see half of your head because your view is much lower.

It will also give you the impression that all other players are taller than you are.

I know it sounds like a simple solution to just lower the camera, but it's not.

+1 Leave it like it is at the moment. Belive me, with failed zeroing like it is in BF4 playing against good players is pure cancer.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”