WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Progress Report - Capture Points & Teams

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 am

Like we mentioned in the 'Server Hosting in VU' blog post, some important game features are missing from the vanilla client when running in server mode. During the past two weeks, we have been working on re-implementing some of those features in order to be able to provide you with a fully functional and playable game.

One of the main (and most important) missing features was the complete absence of all capture point logic.
Capture points would still spawn properly in Conquest (and derived) gamemodes, however they would be completely unusable due to that fact.

After a lot of research, we managed to pinpoint the required operations in order to achieve retail-like functionality on control points, and we're now happy to let you know that they are almost fully working (some client-side notifications, like the capturing sounds, are still not being triggered, but we're working on it)!

While re-implementing the logic behind capture points, we also had a chance to learn more about how game entities and their events work, and the way they're linked together and managed by the game, something that will be of great help for future VeniceEXT features (as mentioned in our previous blog post).

Another feature that was missing was team and squad management.
After joining a game, players would be put into the neutral team (spectator), unable to switch to any other team.
Additionally, even if they managed to join a team, they would be unable to create, join, or leave squads.

Because of that we had to rebuild our own team/squad management system in order to restore functionality, along with some basic balancing code for initial team join, and some other new features.

We haven't implemented friend-based team joining and auto-balancing yet, but we will be focusing on it in the near future (as auto-balancing can be easily achieved using third party rcon plugins).

Our next focus will be to re-implement the rcon protocol and providing a base command set in order to allow you to control your servers using tools like ProCon.

Finally, the blog post about Modding with Rime will be posted in the near future (no ETA), as we still have to finalize some things before we are able to provide you with detailed information.

We would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to discuss this on our forums by clicking on the button below!

From the Venice Unleashed Blog.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

Blackend00o

Re: Progress Report - Capture Points & Teams

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 am

:D great news,great job

zesty

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:31 am

I'm wondering is that squad slots is fixed, or customizable by server-side.
"More squad slots" is pretty cool for lan party with friends. but for a competitive match I think it should be limited even less than the vanilla one, due to prevent massive spawn and take advantages with that.

MAGIC

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 am

zesty wrote:I'm wondering is that squad slots is fixed, or customizable by server-side.
"More squad slots" is pretty cool for lan party with friends. but for a competitive match I think it should be limited even less than the vanilla one, due to prevent massive spawn and take advantages with that.

Hey, why do you steal my question?

Yep, would be cool, if we can change the squad slots in order to have more than 4 people in one squad. (+ the ability to lock the squad, so other 'random' guys can't join the squad).
Or does that count to the 'I don't touch EAs basic code'?

lycanwrath

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 am

Great news!! keep it up ;)

Kerrigan

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 am

Great and promising as always. :)

lycanwrath

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:01 am

Starting to think that this will not only be better than Original bettlefold3 but it will better Bitterfelt4 as well, xD..

utopiate

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 am

lycanwrath wrote:Starting to think that this will not only be better than Original bettlefold3 but it will better Bitterfelt4 as well, xD..

Being better than 4 is without question for me lol

Kerrigan

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:08 am

Battlefield 4 can be only better than VU when EN is launching a project for BF4. :D

kiwidog

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Man that NoFaTe guy is a total noob.
kiwidog > NoFaTe.

Return to “Blog”