WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
MAGIC
Re: Modding in Venice Unleashed - Part 1

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 am

Btw here you go :>
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6060

neverhangover

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Dear NoFate and Kiwidog ;)

I have 2 questions.

1. Will we be able to integrate mods into each-other and still mark it as one mod ? This "one unique mod at a time" is a bit unclear. How does one determine what is a single mod and what is 2 mods ? For example:

I will have a server with some full night maps , this requires some server-side and some client-side modifications.
(Specifically:
-Decreased skylight
-Disabled sky
-Removed sunflares
-Increased tac-light intensity and radius
-Now tac-light on 3rd person casts shadow
-Removed fog,dust
-Deleted some fx
-Increased some static lights intensity,radius)

Now full night maps wouldn't make sense with Scope glare, so I would also need to remove that from the game. That's another 'mod'.

Promod was a single mod, yet multiple things were changed, so isn't it multiple mods then ?

For a perfect server, without blue tint, with some true night maps, modded weapons (nerfing M16A3, removing scope glare,etc...) Will I be able to weld these mods together and just write it off as one mod ? If not, the system has to change.

2. Could we modify a weapon's underbarrel attachments ?

I mean the G3A3 specifically. It is a huge deal-breaker for me that I can not use an M320-Smoke with it. If the barrel is too short, (which it isn't...) why couldn't they just attach the GP-30 to it ? The M26 fits with no problem. I want to fix DICE's little mistake, 'cause it would make the G3A3 a perfect RUSH-attacker mid-range weapon.

Awaiting response :)

kiwidog

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:54 pm

neverhangover wrote:Dear NoFate and Kiwidog ;)

I have 2 questions.

1. Will we be able to integrate mods into each-other and still mark it as one mod ? This "one unique mod at a time" is a bit unclear. How does one determine what is a single mod and what is 2 mods ? For example:

I will have a server with some full night maps , this requires some server-side and some client-side modifications.
(Specifically:
-Decreased skylight
-Disabled sky
-Removed sunflares
-Increased tac-light intensity and radius
-Now tac-light on 3rd person casts shadow
-Removed fog,dust
-Deleted some fx
-Increased some static lights intensity,radius)

Now full night maps wouldn't make sense with Scope glare, so I would also need to remove that from the game. That's another 'mod'.

Promod was a single mod, yet multiple things were changed, so isn't it multiple mods then ?

For a perfect server, without blue tint, with some true night maps, modded weapons (nerfing M16A3, removing scope glare,etc...) Will I be able to weld these mods together and just write it off as one mod ? If not, the system has to change.

2. Could we modify a weapon's underbarrel attachments ?

I mean the G3A3 specifically. It is a huge deal-breaker for me that I can not use an M320-Smoke with it. If the barrel is too short, (which it isn't...) why couldn't they just attach the GP-30 to it ? The M26 fits with no problem. I want to fix DICE's little mistake, 'cause it would make the G3A3 a perfect RUSH-attacker mid-range weapon.

Awaiting response :)

As in, Night Mod on Server and Client won't work along-side Promod for example. Unless Promod wanted to make some of the maps night time. (Combine the Night mod and Promod on the mod creators side and release as 1 mod would work) but running 2 separate mods would not work.

tl;dr;
You can run multiple changes within 1 mod release.
You can not run multiple mod releases at the same time. (aka PR & Promod at the same time)

EDIT: (@G3A3 Problem) I don't know the specifics, but once the tools are available, why not look at it yourself ;)
kiwidog > NoFaTe.

neverhangover

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 pm

@kiwidog

Dude, you are always supportive :D
much nicer than other *unspecified people* on the forum...

So if I make my own mod (which contains ideas from promod combined with my own ones, + night maps) and call it Pink Fluffy Unicorns mod, it would be a-okay. :D

Give it a month or so and I could also get it signed/ranked by you guys, as it wouldn't offer any unfair advantages to either side.

Also, I will happily take a look into the G3 when tools get released, and I'm hoping to find just a simple .cfg file for every weapon, listing attachments and values 0 and 1 next to them, but it could never get that easy. :D

Also, this is regarding Rime, but NoFate wrote:

"Currently, Rime is at a very primitive stage, only supporting a handful of features, like basic texture editing, basic script modifications (which includes things like changing weapon stats, moving around objects, etc.), and basic support for editing other types of resources."

If 'basic texture editing' gets advanced enough to allow importing/exporting and photoshoping them, could we build custom weapon camos? and if so, could we be able to even if the weapon doesn't have any by default? (premium)

I would love to make an old school but in-tact metal black/wooden AK-47 skin for the AK-74M and RPK-74M rifles.
Also, metal black skins for the M16, M4A1, SCAR-H, M-TAR...
I would be more than happy to share them with everyone in VU, but it would be nice to know if the tools even allow for a chance. ;)

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

neverhangover wrote:Also, this is regarding Rime, but NoFate wrote:

"Currently, Rime is at a very primitive stage, only supporting a handful of features, like basic texture editing, basic script modifications (which includes things like changing weapon stats, moving around objects, etc.), and basic support for editing other types of resources."

If 'basic texture editing' gets advanced enough to allow importing/exporting and photoshoping them, could we build custom weapon camos? and if so, could we be able to even if the weapon doesn't have any by default? (premium)

Currently it's only possible to modify already existing textures (so that would be existing weapon skins/camos in your case).
Adding completely new skins/camos isn't possible yet, but it should be once Rime reaches a more mature stage.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

neverhangover

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 pm

NoFaTe wrote:
neverhangover wrote:Also, this is regarding Rime, but NoFate wrote:

Currently it's only possible to modify already existing textures (so that would be existing weapon skins/camos in your case).
Adding completely new skins/camos isn't possible yet, but it should be once Rime reaches a more mature stage.

Thank you for your time 8-)

Another question while we're at it,

"basic script modifications (which includes things like changing weapon stats, moving around objects, etc.), and basic support for editing other types of resources."

While exploring these weapon stats and other resources, have you, by any chance, seen any config files regarding weapon attachments in detail ? :roll:

Anything that could give us an idea on up to what extent could we tinker with weapons. ;)

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 am

neverhangover wrote:Thank you for your time 8-)

Another question while we're at it,

"basic script modifications (which includes things like changing weapon stats, moving around objects, etc.), and basic support for editing other types of resources."

While exploring these weapon stats and other resources, have you, by any chance, seen any config files regarding weapon attachments in detail ? :roll:

Anything that could give us an idea on up to what extent could we tinker with weapons. ;)

I happened to take a look at attachments a few months back when I was checking to see if they removed the suppressor from the DICE-only magnum.
Even though I don't quite remember how attachments were 'linked' with guns, I remember that it seemed like most attachments were created to be weapon-specific.

Then again, that was a long time ago so I might be wrong.

blueman24

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 am

Hi NoFaTe and Kiwidog,
I would like to know that how will VU deal with servers running that require client side mods. If the client does not have the required files, then will it automatically download them, like Counter strike automatically downloads maps if they are not installed or we will have to manually download the extra files and install them as it is in Rome?

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 am

blueman24 wrote:Hi NoFaTe and Kiwidog,
I would like to know that how will VU deal with servers running that require client side mods. If the client does not have the required files, then will it automatically download them, like Counter strike automatically downloads maps if they are not installed or we will have to manually download the extra files and install them as it is in Rome?

Rime Mods and WebUI packages will be automatically downloaded in a similar fashion to CS, yes.

blueman24

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:21 am

NoFaTe wrote:Rime Mods and WebUI packages will be automatically downloaded in a similar fashion to CS, yes.

Now this looks like VU will be polished to perfection. Custom UI, this, etc etc..... but I still fail to solve the mystery of Soon™

Return to “Blog”