WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
The Custom UI System

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:56 pm

As we have demonstrated before, Venice Unleashed features a custom UI system, which allows us to provide you with additional in-game features (like a main menu, a server browser, custom loading screens, etc.), and also allows modders to give a unique identity to their mods by customizing the in-game UI.

But how does this work you may ask?
Do you need to have advanced ActionScript/Flash skills to develop custom HUD elements for VU?

The answer is simple.
Instead of going through the trouble of using something like Scaleform (something that would possibly cause a lot of inconvenience for both us and you) we decided to render our custom UI utilizing a nice little project called Awesomium CEF, which is actually pretty awesome!

The way this works is by rendering a regular HTML page, and then sending it back to our application so we can process it and render it on the actual game view.

This provides us with a familiar and flexible environment, leveraging all the latest web technologies (like WebGL), and it also makes it very easy to debug and perform changes live, without having to re-bundle and restart your game every single time you need change something, as seen in the video below.

Note: This demonstration is incomplete and is not representative of the final product.

We have also exposed a lot of game functionality (like information about players and weapons, relative positions, server-side commands, etc.) via global JavaScript objects, that can be easily accessible from your custom UI. That, in combination with our Extension system, provides you with a very powerful and flexible solution for building entirely custom interfaces.

We have made sure to provide you with a convenient set of tools, features, and resources, so you don't have to worry about weird technicalities and you can focus on what matters the most, making something awesome!

Finally, we should note that everything is served server-side, meaning that players will not have to download mod packs or any other kind of files to be able to experience your custom UI.

Next week, we will go into more detail on how modding will work in VU, both using the Extension System 'VeniceEXT', and Rime.

We would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to discuss this on our forums by clicking on the button below!

From the Venice Unleashed Blog.
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

MindFreak1987

Re: The Custom UI System

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Wow this is awesome work man!!!
Congratz!!! 8-)
Moje je srce hotel Nacional, u njemu soba, nema im broja, za svaku moju ljubav po jedna, a do te svake po jedna tvoja.

AlexEe

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Looks great!
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

MAGIC

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:14 pm

That's really cool.

But one thing: So 'everyone' (e.g. clans) can create their own UI? Or do we have to load the UI as mod? If not, i will see a lot of servers with custom UIs and ugly colors

SylarTL

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Cool stuff

Skydk013

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Awesome Bro!

death_stalker_ak47

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm

The thing that I hate most about BF3,BF4,BF5....... is Battleog, everytime when I want to change a server I need to close bf3 open browser, blah blah blah.
So yeah I was more than happy when I've read NoFaTe post, to have this awesome possibility, a proper in-game server browser.

+1 for Venice and for EN devs.

PS: We should add a rep system to our forums, I want to give some rep.
WARNING

WarBeast-GT-

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I came... :D
Nice work, I wish I could program that good :(

zesty

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 pm

It's great. Also sharing styles would be make the community more creative in my opinion.

WarBeast-GT-

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:17 pm

zesty wrote:It's great. Also sharing styles would be make the community more creative in my opinion.

"Dat Ass" menu is coming :lol:

Return to “Blog”