WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
ACanadianKernel
We need to force higher quality servers

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:08 pm

So its come to my attention after playing on Nexus Emulators service for a good month or 2 now that a good majority of the servers are hosted on extremely poor quality internet and or server hardware. Example I would be going through the server browser and of course I am up until 2 - 4am my time somedays and no one is going to be on a North American hosted server. Due to time zones and such. So I would be looking for a server and everyone of them would be about 80 - 150 ping in the browser I am like well thats fine iv played with worse. But when I join them the scoreboard will tell me that i have 200 - 300 ping and everyone else will have about 120 - 400 ping. So Iv made an attempt to play on the server even with my so called 300 ping or whatever it is telling me I have and after playing for a good 20 - 30 mins or so I noticed that this server has extremely high amount of packet loss and lag spikes. Now before you jump and say oh well its your internet or whatever please remember that I have a Fiber Optic line with the best speeds I can get in my area of Nova Scotia which is 175/30 so I never get packet loss unless its on the servers end. So simply what I am asking is can we please force people to host on high grade internet/hardware.... Because it seriously takes away from the fun when your rubber banding randomly and get shot 10 feet around corners by a sniper thats sniping from across the map...

I will have an image of my speedtest results to the UK and Germany attached to this post please take a look and please consider what I am saying...
Attachments
My Speedtests.png
My speedtest results to UK and Germany.
My Speedtests.png (82.41KiB)Viewed 16550 times
Canadian Internet for the win!
My Servers Specs
My Servers That I Host

MAGIC

Re: We need to force higher quality servers

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Well I gonna say that ingame ping is not the same which you have on the serverlist (serverlist one is right).
Probably most of the server owner doesn't know what latency is and don't know what their server can actually handle. Because of that I am always hosting my own servers so I can control them.

Too bad I don't know any american server hosting companies which offers great servers to a good price
Last edited by MAGIC on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobbingHood

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:17 pm

And how exactly would you practically enforce this?
Usually there's the survival of the fastest, meaning people won't play on laggy servers so they eventually die out.

We'll see what the situation is like after/during the CB. However I don't think that we'll just ban people from hosting due to slow connections.
NoFaTe wrote:There will be 4 provider statuses: Regular, Clan, Registered, and Official.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5887

One possible solution would be to only allow tested servers (speed-wise) to be marked as "registered".

weavii

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:37 pm

enforcing good quality servers is not a good idea. if someone wants to host a little server on his 20 mbs home connection, why not.
giving servers/hosters a certain level is the right way to go.

AlexEe

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:24 pm

RobbingHood wrote:
NoFaTe wrote:There will be 4 provider statuses: Regular, Clan, Registered, and Official.

One possible solution would be to only allow tested servers (speed-wise) to be marked as "registered".

ya, if people only want to play on high quality servers they can join "registered" or higher servers.
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

ACanadianKernel

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:30 pm

I just hope that they do something about it...
My Servers Specs
My Servers That I Host

ACanadianKernel

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:31 pm

MAGIC wrote:Well I gonna say that ingame ping is not the same which you have on the serverlist (serverlist one is right).
Probably most of the server owner doesn't know what latency is and don't know what their server can actually handle. Because of that I am always hosting my own servers so I can control them.

Too bad I don't know any american server hosting companies which offers great servers to a good price

I host servers for myself but if people are interested in buying a game server off me then by all means i am more then happy enough to provide it to them.
My Servers Specs
My Servers That I Host

weavii

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 pm

i am not sure if it is going to be tolerated making profit out of VU.

RobbingHood

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 am

ACanadianKernel wrote:I host servers for myself but if people are interested in buying a game server off me then by all means i am more then happy enough to provide it to them.

weavii wrote:i am not sure if it is going to be tolerated making profit out of VU.

We will not interfere with any hosting offers by users. It's essentially the same thing as renting a root server from e.g. online.net and setting up a game server there, with the only difference being the convenience of not having to worry about the actual installation.

On a side note: Should you have any problems with a person offering such services, don't blame us.

TacTicToe

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 am

It is not just the servers, it is the players themselves that seem a bit clueless. I see people from the opposite side of the planet, no reason for them to be connecting to our server, and yet they are. They are trying to play with their crappy 400-600 ping. It is getting to a point where I want to enable the firewall on my box and just start blocking traffic from Australia, Russia, China etc...

So don't blame it all on the server providers. Perhaps we need to have some sort of common sense competency test for the players as well?

MAGIC wrote:Too bad I don't know any american server hosting companies which offers great servers to a good price

https://www.nfoservers.com/

And now you know! 8-)
]Image

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”