WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
ASS4SSIN
IPv6 support for servers?/Linux compatible bits?

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Since there are not much IPv4 public addresses left and internet providers starting to use methods like dual-stack lite to give their costumers the ability to connect to the "old" IPv4 internet(thus not giving them/me the ability to forward ports), it would be great if you could think about implementing the IPv6 protocoll to the servers. I for my self have to rent a vserver for the ability to host game servers(I'm hosting a repziw4 server at the moment) and I would love to use my home server to host some game servers since my hs has much more power and faster harddrives. :) I think that could lead to more servers 8-)
Greets ASS4SSIN
Last edited by ASS4SSIN on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XuluniX

Re: Implementing IPv6 support for servers?

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

i don't think that they would implet IPv6 because that would need big changes in the netcode block of the engine.
As far as i know, there are no such things planed.
Adding IPv6 would break most RCON tools because if they query the ips of the players, they are waiting for an IPv4 address and not an IPv6.

i like the idea, but i don't think that they will add it, it's way too much work for this little improvement

ASS4SSIN

Re: Implementing IPv6 support for servers?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Then I must hope for UnityMedia giving us full dual-stack and until then I'll use a vserver^^
Another thing, that seems a little bit easier to me:
Linux bits for the server to run natively on linux would be great :)
As linux servers are more common and - that's the more striking point - usually cheaper(vServer renting).

XuluniX

Re: IPv6 support for servers?/Linux compatible bits?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:17 pm

hosting latency relevant software on a vServer is sometimes a problem.
You don't know what the other users on the host are doing, so you can get problems with the CPU or more often with the Disk-Latency.
What you can do is, make a tunnel from your vServer to your homeserver.
So you have a Static IPv4 address and can do port-forwarding

ASS4SSIN

Re: IPv6 support for servers?/Linux compatible bits?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Yeah I thought about that and forgot it, might consider it when the open beta launches :)

Return to “General Discussion”