WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
AlexEe
Re: Bed Companion 2 Server Control

Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm thinking about starting a project on my on written in C++ (Qt). But I mostly like won't have the time to start it any time in the near future.
Add me on Steam: click | My Origin ID: AlexEe77

Phoqe

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Yes, this is currently being developed but I have alot of things on my mind currently. Well, trust me there are some noteworthy features to show but I'll wait till it's near a release. Although alot of core features are done, there isn't much unique to show, that's the reason I'll wait.

I would like some feedback on the option to just place the executable in your server directory. This way it can familiarize with all the directories in the server folder, so you don't need to give a path to the server. What's your opinion?

RobbingHood

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Phoqe wrote:Well, trust me there are some noteworthy features to show but I'll wait till it's near a release. Although alot of core features are done, there isn't much unique to show, that's the reason I'll wait.

This is literally the VU CB right now.

Phoqe wrote:I would like some feedback on the option to just place the server control in your server directory. This way it can familiarize with all the directories in the server folder, so you don't need to give a path to the server. What's your opinion?

Sounds like a plan. If the program relies on multiple configuration files I'd put it into a seperate subfolder however (otherwise the server root gets even more messy).

MAGIC

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 pm

RobbingHood wrote:Sounds like a plan. If the program relies on multiple configuration files I'd put it into a seperate subfolder however (otherwise the server root gets even more messy).

Yup pretty much this. Because of that I rewrote the servertutorial to prevent thousand of files in one folder

Phoqe

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty standard state for projects indeed.

I also had that in mind, I am planning on a standalone folder for the application where all the logs, settings files, etc. So it's a bit like a "drag and drop" feature I have in mind. Once the application has been started there will be a setup where you can which folders in the root directory will be used and so on.

Folder Structure
comcat\
extensions
logs
settings (This is not confirmed, I think it's a very deprecated method to handle settings. It will probably store it within the application data folder, or in the documents.)
Comcat.exe
(included libraries...)
Also the name for the application in whole is now Comcat, actually got it from the concatenate function. ;)

I forgot to mention, a little screenie on the overview of the source to show of what little has been done :D

RobbingHood

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Phoqe wrote:store it [...] in the documents)

Ugh I hate when programs do that :|

Phoqe

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 pm

RobbingHood wrote:

Well, it gives the consumer a chance to have his settings left if he had choose to uninstall the application. Which is good in that matter, but else it's nothing in particular.

UPD: The logging method has been re-worked, it now works like a charm. When you start the server a 'log' file will be placed in the 'logs' folder, log files older than 7 days will be removed at startup. Also currently it only logs errors, but that is only for development purposes and will be opted to all logging information later.

The name of the log files are as stated here:
Comcat_Log_20141122183951
It's in the YYYYMMDDhhmmss format without spaces, which gives the log files unique names.

weavii

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Phoqe wrote:
RobbingHood wrote:

Well, it gives the consumer a chance to have his settings left if he had choose to uninstall the application. Which is good in that matter, but else it's nothing in particular.

Keep in mind that it will be used on servers, no need for such "consumer friendly" features that will make things eventually more complicated.

Also please no files in server folders. Why not just a .cfg file where we can store the IPs, ports and query passwords of the servers?

Phoqe

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:57 pm

There will be no files in the server folders nor it's sub-folders. There will be an application settings file in the root folder of Comcat.

Also, am I allowed to "double-post" if it's an update or announcement? Since I have to edit the latest post every time.

RobbingHood

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:02 am

Phoqe wrote:Also, am I allowed to "double-post" if it's an update or announcement? Since I have to edit the latest post every time.

Feel free to.
(It's the same thing like here basically; If you just edited the post, noone would be aware of any relevant changes.

Return to “General Discussion”