WARNING: The forum is now in read-only mode as we will soon be transitioning to different forum software. Feel free to join our Discord server in the meantime.
NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!
Why Stats?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 am

Here's an answer to a popular question...

'Why stats? Why not have everyone be max level with all items unlocked?'

Well, firstly, we are emulating a service - meaning we want to get as close to the original as possible.
Implementing the stat fetching and updating system moves us one step closer to having a complete server.

Moreover, not having stats properly implemented causes several issues - like corrupting your local game settings data and making it almost impossible to join a server.

Finally, we want to offer every player a challenge. OK, having everything unlocked is all good and fun, but it also removes any trail of challenge. We want to give you an incentive to compete with other players, to try to be the best and enjoy the game as much as possible!

It's another thing selecting the most powerful gun out of a full inventory and another to earn it by your hard 'work' and 'sweat'.

In a future update we will re-enable un-ranked servers and give the ability to server owners to temporarily enable all unlocks for all players while in un-ranked mode.

Hope this answers your questions.

Have fun!
[03:55:41] <~Bag> Yes, I can put things inside me when I need to

JAckBAuer

Re: Why Stats?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

NoFaTe wrote:Moreover, not having stats properly implemented causes several issues - like corrupting your local game settings data and making it almost impossible to join a server.

Does this mean that offline LAN play will not be possible, as there would be no connection to the emulator for stats to be handled properly or a way for a dedicated server to be found by the client?

CactusPie

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Although I am fine with having to unlock all weapons by yourself, I've always thought that this system is a little bit unfair.

When a new player joins the game, he's at a disadvantage. Other players already know the game better than him, they know how things work, and they've already had some practice with it. So we put the new player at an even bigger disadvantage, by taking most weapons away from him, leaving only most basic gear.

Although I do realize that everything gets unlocked relatively fast and this "upgrade syndrome" keeps people playing, I still think that this system is flawed.

Just my two cents. As I said, I don't really mind stats that much.

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

JAckBAuer wrote:Does this mean that offline LAN play will not be possible, as there would be no connection to the emulator for stats to be handled properly or a way for a dedicated server to be found by the client?

Patience.
All in good time ;)

Kerrigan

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm

NoFaTe wrote:Here's an answer to a popular question...

'Why stats? Why not have everyone be max level with all items unlocked?'

Well, firstly, we are emulating a service - meaning we want to get as close to the original as possible.
Implementing the stat fetching and updating system moves us one step closer to having a complete server.

Moreover, not having stats properly implemented causes several issues - like corrupting your local game settings data and making it almost impossible to join a server.

Finally, we want to offer every player a challenge. OK, having everything unlocked is all good and fun, but it also removes any trail of challenge. We want to give you an incentive to compete with other players, to try to be the best and enjoy the game as much as possible!

It's another thing selecting the most powerful gun out of a full inventory and another to earn it by your hard 'work' and 'sweat'.

In a future update we will re-enable un-ranked servers and give the ability to server owners to temporarily enable all unlocks for all players while in un-ranked mode.

Hope this answers your questions.

Have fun!

One question for the LAN-mode.

Will we be able to unlock stuff in offline multiplayer ?

e.g.: We´re using a ranking system with unlocks for online and a second ranking system for offline.

In IW4M we were able to unlock all the stuff in LAN gameplay..

NoFaTe
Blazin' your Brains!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm

TheShadow wrote:One question for the LAN-mode.

Will we be able to unlock stuff in offline multiplayer ?

e.g.: We´re using a ranking system with unlocks for online and a second ranking system for offline.

In IW4M we were able to unlock all the stuff in LAN gameplay..

As I said, all in good time.

RobbingHood

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:55 pm

CactusPie wrote:When a new player joins the game, he's at a disadvantage. Other players already know the game better than him, they know how things work, and they've already had some practice with it. So we put the new player at an even bigger disadvantage, by taking most weapons away from him, leaving only most basic gear.

Yeah, you're right... But this is Bettlefold, no CeeODee :D

Everyone needs to be a little ambitious. If you had all weapons by default, ppl wouln't try to unlock them by playing good(e.g. earning some extra points by reviving teammates or destroying an M-COM).

I think it's much better that way.

Regards
RobbingHood

Imposter

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 pm

CactusPie wrote:Although I am fine with having to unlock all weapons by yourself, I've always thought that this system is a little bit unfair.

When a new player joins the game, he's at a disadvantage. Other players already know the game better than him, they know how things work, and they've already had some practice with it. So we put the new player at an even bigger disadvantage, by taking most weapons away from him, leaving only most basic gear.

Although I do realize that everything gets unlocked relatively fast and this "upgrade syndrome" keeps people playing, I still think that this system is flawed.

Just my two cents. As I said, I don't really mind stats that much.

I agree, but, it is sort of a limitation, there is no sort of matchmaking in Bed Companion 2, resulting in new players vs. experienced players. The statistics idea is good though, as NoFaTe mentioned, it does indeed create a goal for the players, something acheivable, causing more people to be competitive and play (thus increasing the Emulator Nexus player base).

Imposter
=D

rohunter

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:30 pm

ok ... i know its not the right section or even topic .. but ... staing on it ... i like the way it is .... its good and well balanced ... even if ur a nooob ul steel get some kills ... and rank up ... but getting back to wat i needed to know .. why dose voice over ip work on others and for me it dose not .? wht did i do wrong and i didn`t do at all {please be patient with me not us or uk so no proper speling on the english side }

CactusPie

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 pm

rohunter wrote:ok ... i know its not the right section or even topic .. but ... staing on it ... i like the way it is .... its good and well balanced ... even if ur a nooob ul steel get some kills ... and rank up ... but getting back to wat i needed to know .. why dose voice over ip work on others and for me it dose not .? wht did i do wrong and i didn`t do at all {please be patient with me not us or uk so no proper speling on the english side }

VoIP is just broken. It works whenever it wants to. There is nothing that can be done to fix it. It's a problem with the game, not the emulator, even unmodified game suffers from it.

Return to “General Discussion”